Question Poor 3080 performance + black screen after restart

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Hello!

Sorry for this question as seems to be already being asked so many times, but every case is different.
This is my current pc:

mother: Gigabyte Z390 UD
cpu: i5-8600K (no OC)
Corsair Hydro H45
SSD 512
HHD 1TB 7200RPM
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair 2666
GPU: 3080 Zotac Gaming OC

Firts topic:

I was looking games performance in videos with my same CPU, for example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6imb5hK8FU

At minute 5, RDR2 is working at 120fps in 1080, im getting only 70. Difference is too high.
I know the cpu is doing bottleneck, but in the video gameplay is doing as well as its using factory clock, same as me.

This is my benchmark result:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35941421

What can be causing fps SO low ?

Second topic:
After my pc is shutdown for some minutes, when I turn it on I´m not getting any video output. I have to turn off from power button, turn on and go into BIOS, exit without saving and then it works ok.

Before installing this new GPU, I was using integrated gpu. I already disabled the driver from device administrators list.
Im planning to reinstall windows, but I´m not sure why this is happening.

thanks!!

Posted benchmarks/gaming FPS videos are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Let's see...
1)You're expecting performance to match a benchmark, whose results represent the the top 1-5%.
I hate these game benchmarks; they're just as poisonous as those darn fps monitors. People gobble them up as the baseline for their own system performance.
There's no mention of the settings used, drivers at the time, hardware setup, etc... all that matters.

2)RTX 3080 at 1080p.
Over-engineered card for that resolution. Period. Fast cpu + fast ram matter more at 1080p.

3)Ram is on the slow side for 1080p.

4)The HDD MIGHT be a tad slow for some titles - MIGHT.

5)Psu possibly overheating or getting kicked in the teeth by the 3080?

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Try running HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) while you game. Game for at least 30 mins then upload the log file somewhere where we can grab it.

Your score(s) aren't that bad. Your second userbenchmark shows relative scores above 50% for all the components.
Thanks, will try and upload.

Let's see...
1)You're expecting performance to match a benchmark, whose results represent the the top 1-5%.
I hate these game benchmarks; they're just as poisonous as those darn fps monitors. People gobble them up as the baseline for their own system performance.
There's no mention of the settings used, drivers at the time, hardware setup, etc... all that matters.

2)RTX 3080 at 1080p.
Over-engineered card for that resolution. Period. Fast cpu + fast ram matter more at 1080p.

3)Ram is on the slow side for 1080p.

4)The HDD MIGHT be a tad slow for some titles - MIGHT.

5)Psu possibly overheating or getting kicked in the teeth by the 3080?
1- yeah I know, I don´t expect to have the same result, but 40 of diff looked like too much for me
2- I know. I´m monitoring monitor prices for black friday to upgrade to 2K, but after seeing this fps I dont want to buy a 2K and have 60fps......
HOWEVER, I just enabled SDR at 2K for RDR2, and bottleneck went away completely. GPU is at 99 while CPU at 60
3- Didn´t get this, sorry
4- I use to avoid installing in the HDD, is more for media things and games that not require, like CSGO
5- Don´t think so. Is a new 750W plus gold

Man imagine actually getting a 3080 just to run it at 1080p :mad:
That's so overkill!!!
I know, I´m monitoring monitor prices for black friday to upgrade to 2K, but after seeing this fps I dont want to buy a 2K and have 60fps.....

It won't change your scores/performance, but, now that you're using a discrete GPU, it is best to completely disable the integrated GPU in BIOS. Don't rely on just disabling it in Windows.

Also, the black screen on start-up tells me something is going on with the hardware. What's the exact model of the PSU?

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
It won't change your scores/performance, but, now that you're using a discrete GPU, it is best to completely disable the integrated GPU in BIOS. Don't rely on just disabling it in Windows.

Also, the black screen on start-up tells me something is going on with the hardware. What's the exact model of the PSU?

Gigabyte P750GM. I have the GPU connected with two independent connectors.

I had the integrated GPU disabled in BIOS, but that didn´t solve the black screen,

Could it be the Display Port wire? Maybe is bad quality one. But I think if that´s the case, it wont work at all

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Try running HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) while you game. Game for at least 30 mins then upload the log file somewhere where we can grab it.

Your score(s) aren't that bad. Your second userbenchmark shows relative scores above 50% for all the components.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7w6avgye3dslvo/3080_8600_rdr2.CSV?dl=0

Here it is the file.

I played RDR2 at 2K with DSR in high settings.
At some point I changed to Ultra and then back to high.

At the very end, Switched to sea of Thieves for 5 minutes.

Quick question. is DSR good enough for 2K? I saw that solved the bottleneck

many thanks !!

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Thank you for take your time. Really.
This began to happen after DSR.
Before it was the cpu hitting it.

So what should or Can do about ? Or this is ok ?

Is this related to the black screen? OR that is more a drivers issue?
Undervolting could help performance, if done right and the card doesn't have any underlying issues.
Not too sure about the black screen issue. Is your motherboard BIOS up to date? You could also try resetting the BIOS. Just be sure to note/take pics of the current settings so you could put them back if you have issues booting up after the reset.

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Undervolting could help performance, if done right and the card doesn't have any underlying issues.
Not too sure about the black screen issue. Is your motherboard BIOS up to date? You could also try resetting the BIOS. Just be sure to note/take pics of the current settings so you could put them back if you have issues booting up after the reset.
Thank you. I will have to read a lot and see how much to apply. But as I could read so far, undervolting will cause less performance with better heath\noise, isn't?
I mean, FPS will not increase.

Im planning to change the overall pc in a near future (cpu, ram, etc). WIll that increase performance? My fear is that the GPU is not working accurate. If this "poor" performance is due to my current setup, is not a high issue so far I think

Undervolting can actually give better performance.
Your card's performance is currently being held back by the power limit. By lowering the voltage you're lowering the amount of power you're giving your card which may allow the card to clock higher and maintain those higher clocks for longer.

If you are currently CPU, bus/memory, or drive speed limited then removing those limits by upgrading the hardware should increase performance.

Reactions: demian711

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Undervolting can actually give better performance.
Your card's performance is currently being held back by the power limit. By lowering the voltage you're lowering the amount of power you're giving your card which may allow the card to clock higher and maintain those higher clocks for longer.

If you are currently CPU, bus/memory, or drive speed limited then removing those limits by upgrading the hardware should increase performance.
Thanks!!

This is me for the last time I hope, sorry to bother you.

I underclocked -270 took the curve at .850mV raised the curve to 1905Mhz more or less:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgxlypzyg45qsqj/Anotación 2020-11-27 005726.png?dl=0

I took log of around 5 mins playing Horizon Zero at 4K SDR with undervolt and stock. (Maybe you want to take a look from bottom to top, as first im opening game, loading, etc)

undervolt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhpj8d5hlq1zbh3/underclocked.CSV?dl=0

stock: https://www.dropbox.com/s/75is1s6evls8xht/stock.CSV?dl=0

Do you see any performance upgrade in numbers?

From my side I didn´t see any FPS change, which maybe is good.

many thanks!!!

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
I was referring to undervolting, not underclocking. Leave everything else at default except for the voltage. You really can't tell much from just 4 minutes of logs. We need to see what happens when the card heats up - after 20 mins or so.
Thanks! I think I have it clear now. I will try these days, hopefully today.

About the black screen, is solved I think. I removed the card and plugged in again, so it was something not well connected.

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
I was referring to undervolting, not underclocking. Leave everything else at default except for the voltage. You really can't tell much from just 4 minutes of logs. We need to see what happens when the card heats up - after 20 mins or so.
Hello!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/izne1jp6mepxg14/925x1965.CSV?dl=0

Here I have a long gamplay log.
I undervolted to .925 Mv at 1875,
Im still trying to figure out how to keep the frequency as default, but not lucky yet. I will test tomorrow with 925Mv @ 1965., but so far the log I´m attaching seems stable.

I still see the message "Lim Power" still in screen sometimes, but much less.

I was not seeing it when I tried with 900Mv, but it was unstable. But maybe was because of the frequency... I don´t know.

Anyway. Thanks for your help and patiente !!!