Question Popping sound coming from PC (I'm suspecting the GPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
Hey guys,

There are popping sounds coming from inside my PC for the past 3 months. It sounds like heat expansion/shrinking sound, but sometimes it can get a bit too loud. It's irregular in time, mostly happens 2-3 times a day. It doesn't affect performance at all, and almost always it happens during gaming. What's interesting is that the popping sound doesn't come when there's a heavy load on the components, but mostly when I exit from the game to the pause menu or when I open the map.

In August I changed CPU, PSU and memory in my PC to a new one, but I started to notice these pops after I upgraded my GPU to an RTX 2060 in September. Because of this I suspect it's something to do with the GPU, but since the other changes were so close in time it can be anything else, I guess. My old card was a low profile GTX 1050Ti, so it's a pretty big change in size, and I have been thinking it could be the heat expansion/shrinking on the giant plastic backplate, or on the PC case.

Since it doesn't affect performance it's not really a big problem, but I'm worried that something will go wrong and I find it kind of interesting that it happens mainly in pause menus. Can it be a normal phenomenon, or do I need to be worried?

I'm not doing any overclocking on neither the CPU nor the GPU. Also the SSD and HDD are newer than the problem, so it can't be them.

Thank you for your help!

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 2400Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 WINDFORCE OC
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: Be quiet! System Power 9 500W

You have a I7-6700k. This has an integrated graphics. Remove your GPU and plug your monitor to your motherboard graphics port. If you don't hear the sound after that you will be 100% sure it's your GPU. If it still does it you can eliminate the GPU as the cause.

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
Maybe I will sound stupid, but the integrated graphics won't be able to run those more demanding games during which the sound comes, It mostly happens when the components are at 65+ C°, when I play less demanding games like Overwatch (components are at 50-55 C°) it doesn't. Also if it may have to do anything with the PSU there won't be that much load without the GPU running on that either to come in play. I can try nonetheless, thank you for you help!

Maybe I will sound stupid, but the integrated graphics won't be able to run those more demanding games during which the sound comes, It mostly happens when the components are at 65+ C°, when I play less demanding games like Overwatch (components are at 50-55 C°) it doesn't. Also if it may have to do anything with the PSU there won't be that much load without the GPU running on that either to come in play. I can try nonetheless, thank you for you help!

The problem started when you added that RTX 2060. The minimum PSU recommended for that 1050TI is not the same as the RTX 2060. A 500Watts PSU is recommended for that RTX 2060 and you have no headroom.

It all fits with what you said. Popping sounds at higher temp / asking more power from your PSU to run intensive games and can't cope with it. I never heard a GPU do a popping sound unless a capacitor blew up and it can't be that with the amount you had so far.

My recommendation. Change your PSU for a good quality 600Watts and this should fix your problem.

Sorry if I wasn't that fast on this one. It's late here ;)

EDIT : Is this what you hear?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wje-HJbOeJE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mk0MZLmXo8

Last edited:

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
The problem started when you added that RTX 2060. The minimum PSU recommended for that 1050TI is not the same as the RTX 2060. A 500Watts PSU is recommended for that RTX 2060 and you have no headroom.

It all fits with what you said. Popping sounds at higher temp / asking more power from your PSU to run intensive games and can't cope with it. I never heard a GPU do a popping sound unless a capacitor blew up and it can't be that with the amount you had so far.

My recommendation. Change your PSU for a good quality 600Watts and this should fix your problem.

Sorry if I wasn't that fast on this one. It's late here ;)

EDIT : Is this what you hear?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wje-HJbOeJE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mk0MZLmXo8

The PSU was the first thing I thought too, but the popping doesn't happen when the PC is under full load, in fact, while at max PSU use I have never heard it. When it happens, it's almost always when I exit to pause screen - when the components are released from load and heat a bit.

Mine sounds less serious than in the videos you included - it's mostly like if I hit a fingernail lightly to the side of the case. Which makes me think it could be the case itself after all.

It's not really an urgent matter since it has been running like this with no problems for 3 months, it just tingles my nerves, since this was the first serious upgrade I have made, and I have spent a lot of money on it (well, for me it was a lot, at least). So no problem on the fastness of your replies, I am very thankful for your help :)

EDIT: I'll try to record the sound if I can and include it here.

The PSU was the first thing I thought too, but the popping doesn't happen when the PC is under full load, in fact, while at max PSU use I have never heard it. When it happens, it's almost always when I exit to pause screen - when the components are released from load and heat a bit.

Mine sounds less serious than in the videos you included - it's mostly like if I hit a fingernail lightly to the side of the case. Which makes me think it could be the case itself after all.

It's not really an urgent matter since it has been running like this with no problems for 3 months, it just tingles my nerves, since this was the first serious upgrade I have made, and I have spent a lot of money on it (well, for me it was a lot, at least). So no problem on the fastness of your replies, I am very thankful for your help :)

EDIT: I'll try to record the sound if I can and include it here.

If you record the sound it will help for sure yes and I'm happy to help :)

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
What case do you have? does it have plastic side panel 'window' instead of glass? Mine does the same when the temperature inside the case rises causing the plastic window to slightly stretch while the fans ramping up cause slight vibrations.

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
What case do you have? does it have plastic side panel 'window' instead of glass? Mine does the same when the temperature inside the case rises causing the plastic window to slightly stretch while the fans ramping up cause slight vibrations.

I have a BitFenix NEOS case without a side window.

EDIT: But its screws are very loose, and the side panels can hardly slide in the clips (I guess that's what they're called) so they're not very well fixed.

Last edited:

camozouskytechy

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Hey guys,

There are popping sounds coming from inside my PC for the past 3 months. It sounds like heat expansion/shrinking sound, but sometimes it can get a bit too loud. It's irregular in time, mostly happens 2-3 times a day. It doesn't affect performance at all, and almost always it happens during gaming. What's interesting is that the popping sound doesn't come when there's a heavy load on the components, but mostly when I exit from the game to the pause menu or when I open the map.

In August I changed CPU, PSU and memory in my PC to a new one, but I started to notice these pops after I upgraded my GPU to an RTX 2060 in September. Because of this I suspect it's something to do with the GPU, but since the other changes were so close in time it can be anything else, I guess. My old card was a low profile GTX 1050Ti, so it's a pretty big change in size, and I have been thinking it could be the heat expansion/shrinking on the giant plastic backplate, or on the PC case.

Since it doesn't affect performance it's not really a big problem, but I'm worried that something will go wrong and I find it kind of interesting that it happens mainly in pause menus. Can it be a normal phenomenon, or do I need to be worried?

I'm not doing any overclocking on neither the CPU nor the GPU. Also the SSD and HDD are newer than the problem, so it can't be them.

Thank you for your help!

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 2400Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 WINDFORCE OC
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: Be quiet! System Power 9 500W
Hi there,

I am having the exact same problem and I recently upgraded to the Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC (Not windforce). It only happens when I exit games or change graphics settings. It is most definitley the graphics card. I am returning mine.

Hope this helps

-Cameron

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
Hi there,

I am having the exact same problem and I recently upgraded to the Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC (Not windforce). It only happens when I exit games or change graphics settings. It is most definitley the graphics card. I am returning mine.

Hope this helps

-Cameron

Thank you for your reply, Cameron. I am yet to see any other problems this disturbance would cause, and as I've had this card for more than half a year now, I guess I can't return it without any other problems. But now I should know if anything happens, it could be blamed on the card. Thank you again, and have a nice day!

Edit: Oh, and I guess I should mention since then I had my case and PSU changed and the problem still persists, so it definitely wasn't them. Most likely it is the GPU as mentioned.

Reactions: camozouskytechy

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
Hey @shalas95 , how is your gpu now, i have the exact issue with my xfx 5700 xt gpu and am a bit worried.
Hi, It's been almost a year since I have the GPU, I still get those popping/cracking sound when it heats up/down, but it works fine with no problem. Must be just the plastic casing around it. If you get unnerving sounds, you should investigate a bit, though.

Aug 30, 2020
Hi, It's been almost a year since I have the GPU, I still get those popping/cracking sound when it heats up/down, but it works fine with no problem. Must be just the plastic casing around it. If you get unnerving sounds, you should investigate a bit, though.
Well, it happens very rarely, and mostly when it heats up, the performance is not impacted at all and it works flawlessly, it might just be me paranoid, got the gpu 4 days ago and i have built the pc by myself, so that's that.

shalas95

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
Well, it happens very rarely, and mostly when it heats up, the performance is not impacted at all and it works flawlessly, it might just be me paranoid, got the gpu 4 days ago and i have built the pc by myself, so that's that.
Mine does it mostly when it's cooling down from heavier use. I get why you're nervous, it was the same for me as well. It might worth checking now and then if you can hear where the sound's coming from exactly. If performance is not impacted I guess you don't have to worry, but I'm not even close to being an expert,

Dec 17, 2020
I’m having the exact same issue with my TUF 3080 OC. Played with the fan settings a lot and tried to isolate where the noise is coming from but couldn’t figure it out. It seems like I’ve narrowed it down to the gpu for sure. This noise only started about 2 weeks ago and I’ve had my gpu for 2 months now! I wish there was a solution to it. Just worried it might cause problems down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS