[SOLVED] port forwarded a port then removed the rule but the port is still open

tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
My router is zyxel AMG1302-T11C. I wanted to test a server on port 5555 so I went to my router's admin panel and added a new rule for port 5555. After I was done, I deleted the rule but I ran a nmap scan just in case and I see that port 5555 is open on my router. Is this dangerous? How can I close it?

Solution
My router is zyxel AMG1302-T11C. I wanted to test a server on port 5555 so I went to my router's admin panel and added a new rule for port 5555. After I was done, I deleted the rule but I ran a nmap scan just in case and I see that port 5555 is open on my router. Is this dangerous? How can I close it?
For the port to show "OPEN" you would have to run the port scan from a location on the WAN side of the router, have the port forwarded, AND have something listening on that port. If any of those is not true, then the port is not open. A factory reset of the router will remove any port forward rules. You should ensure that UPNP is disabled on the router to ensure there are no "automatically" opened forwards.
D

Deleted member 14196

maybe the network gurus can help. if a hard default reset and power down don't do the trick them maybe that unit is faulty

Ralston18

Titan
Just to clarify:

Powershell results are not listing Port 5555 - correct?

And the Linux vm results are showing that Port 5555 is open on the server - correct?

Going out of my comfort zone now so I will need to defer to others who can offer additional insight.

kanewolf

Titan
For the port to show "OPEN" you would have to run the port scan from a location on the WAN side of the router, have the port forwarded, AND have something listening on that port. If any of those is not true, then the port is not open. A factory reset of the router will remove any port forward rules. You should ensure that UPNP is disabled on the router to ensure there are no "automatically" opened forwards.

Solution

tziogasjohn50

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
I disabled upnp and still nothing... Could it be possible that port 5555 is always open by default and I shouldn't care about it?