[SOLVED] Port Forwarding not working on AC5400X router

Aclamb

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
Hello,

I have been trying to setup port forwarding for a Minecraft bedrock server (port 19132) on my AC5400 router.

I have done all of the following in my attempts but have still had no success:
-setup a static IP for my hosting device
-set port forward rules for port 19132 to TCP and UDP on the static IP
  • disabled windows firewall
  • changed connection type to private (suggested by TPlink FAQs)
  • tried also setting rules for 19132 in the triggering port section

I have tested the static IP and can join the server from other device on the LAN so it seems to me the port is just not being opened, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Hello,

I have been trying to setup port forwarding for a Minecraft bedrock server (port 19132) on my AC5400 router.

I have tested the static IP and can join the server from other device on the LAN so it seems to me the port is just not being opened, any help would be greatly appreciated!
The most likely situation is that your AC5400 router doesn't have a public IP...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

The most likely situation is that your AC5400 router doesn't have a public IP address. Use one of the address check websites like https://whatsmyip.com/ then compare that to the value shown in the status of the router. If the WAN address doesn't match then you don't have a public IP address. If the WAN address is 100.64.y.z or 10.x.y.z or 192.168.x.y then you definitely don't have a public IP address.

Reactions: SamirD and Aclamb
Solution

Aclamb

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
The most likely situation is that your AC5400 router doesn't have a public IP address. Use one of the address check websites like https://whatsmyip.com/ then compare that to the value shown in the status of the router. If the WAN address doesn't match then you don't have a public IP address. If the WAN address is 100.64.y.z or 10.x.y.z or 192.168.x.y then you definitely don't have a public IP address.

Thanks for the suggestion, I confirmed that my IP matches what appears on https://whatsmyip.com/ so I don't think that is the issue.

Aclamb

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
UPDATE: the AC5400 is connected to a BGW320-505 router/modem device, this was installed with the fiber internet we have. The BGW320 has an IP passthrough feature that is enabled that forwards all traffic to the public IP to the AC5400, I did try plugging the host device into the modem, and was not able to open the port. I'm beginning to think the issues lies with the ISP

Aclamb

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
After posting my last message I attempted opening up a different port (on the BGW router/modem) and hosting a different service, using canyouseeme.org the port showed as opened and I was able to connect to the service, meanwhile I port 19132 was still showing as closed. Later in the day I tried just for kicks to connect to it and it worked... canyouseeme is still showing the port closed even when I can connect to it from a completely different network and location. I guess the tool isn't super reliable and directly testing the service is the best option. All in all I can now port forward which was the primary goal but I am still curious if I can some how port forward on the C5400 with IP passthrough enabled.