[SOLVED] Port still closed after port forwarding

MasterGreen002

Prominent
Nov 22, 2020
I want to run a Minecraft server off of my computer. I port forwarded already and the port is still closed.

All the things I've done are:

• set up the port forward
  • turned on bridge mode on my modem
  • changed the firewall settings to let the port through
  • set up my local ip to be static

I have a Tp-link router plugged in my modem and an ethernet cable plugged in my pc from the router.

An issue could be that my router is currently using a private WAN ip address.
If that's it, is there anything I can do?

Solution
I want to run a Minecraft server off of my computer. I port forwarded already and the port is still closed.

I have a Tp-link router plugged in my modem and an ethernet cable plugged in my pc from the router.

Yes, that is the problem. If your router has a private WAN address, then there is another router in front of it preventing the port forwarding.
If this WAN IP address is from your ISP, then you have to...

kanewolf

Titan

Yes, that is the problem. If your router has a private WAN address, then there is another router in front of it preventing the port forwarding.
If this WAN IP address is from your ISP, then you have to contact them. There is nothing you can do.

Solution

MasterGreen002

Prominent
Nov 22, 2020
If this WAN IP address is from your ISP, then you have to contact them. There is nothing you can do.
Ok, I know that the WAN IP is private from the router, but just to make sure, is it because it isn't the same as my public IP? Like does it have to be the same as my public IP in order to be a public WAN IP?

alfredjoejr

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021

Most Probably, ur ISP might be using CGNAT to govern the IP address management. You might need to contact them about this. If all else fails, you can request a static IP.