[SOLVED] Portable system ?

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
My question is something strange but at same time could be worthy.
If I create a portable ssd with all my system(os and apps) in it could I have basicly my desktop pc wherever I go?
Example, I have my pc at home where I live 90% of the time and another pc in another home for vacation or also at work, could I do a portable ssd for have all everytime I want with me?
Does portable ssd are more fragile then normal(less durability in write/read)?
I was thinking that what we use is just the disk, if the rest of the hardware is different we could also don t care, right? or there are some system inside the os that can do some problems?

Solution
D
Won’t work. Windows is also tied to your pc hardware with drivers. Moving it or having portable windows isn’t going to work

What you want is more like a cloud hosted operating system that you log into
D

Deleted member 14196

Won’t work. Windows is also tied to your pc hardware with drivers. Moving it or having portable windows isn’t going to work

Solution

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022

ok thanks, so actually if I have an os that don t care about hardware and other things will be possible...
Just a last question, we shuld some one buy a botable ssd? just for backup or there are any others way to use it?

What you want is window to go
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview
but they stopped that for the reasons explained above, it just becomes a mess with all the different drivers out there.

What we have now is your desktop tied to your account so you can login to your windows from any windows system in the world.
It doesn't include everything but a big chunk of what you want will be "transferred" .

Portable ssds are just as durable as any other ssd, if you bang it around and have it in a bag at 100°C inside your car it will fail sooner.

If you want to have a copy of a windows system that you have set up just the way you like you can create a VM and have that VM file on a portable ssd, you will be able to load that up on any system you want as long as it has the same VM software installed.