Question Positive pressure or Negative pressure

Feb 5, 2022
Hi guys! So I just bought my RTX 2060 gigabyte yesterday and my H100 Corsair CPU cooler. When I'm playing Apex Legends my temp used to be 80-85c sometimes it went to 87c. I've done my research that RTX 2060's were pre-made to reach that temp. But I'm afraid of the lifespan that it would get. Since I don't have an AC in my room and I'm living in a tropical country... I wanna know how to fix this problem. Btw my CPU temp on idle is 40-45c when I'm playing it reaches 50-55c max. My airflow setup is in-between airflow which is the radiator in front of the panel which is an Intake and the rear and top of the case as an exhaust... now I'm wondering, should I go for All Intake or All Exhaust set up to help my desktop components cool? BTW I only have 3 cases of fans.. and 2fans(the CPU cooler with radiator).

Thank you in advance for the feedback!!!

So here's my setup
Gigabyte RTX 2060 2fans (GPU)
Ryzen 5 2600 (CPU)
Corsair Cv550 (PSU)
Corsair Vengeance 8x2 (3200mhz) (RAM)
H100 Corsair (CPU cooler)
Gigabyte b450-ds3h (MOBO)
Tecware Nexus M mATX(PC Case)

Your 2060 is running hotter than my old 2080S. Looking at that case I expect the biggest limit is very little airflow underneath the gpu which is where the gpu intakes air. There is virtually no air from the front fans going under the gpu.

If you want to bring gpu temperature down have a look at undervolting.

Reactions: puroy27
Feb 5, 2022
Your 2060 is running hotter than my old 2080S. Looking at that case I expect the biggest limit is very little airflow underneath the gpu which is where the gpu intakes air. There is virtually no air from the front fans going under the gpu.

If you want to bring gpu temperature down have a look at undervolting.
so I tried changing my fans to intake. the rear and top fans are now in intake. I'll try to experiment and play some games and observe which one is better. btw yes, my desktop case is so messed up that's why I'm thinking on upgrading better desktop case. any suggestions that you could give me a budget-friendly bigger case with better airflow?

so I tried changing my fans to intake. the rear and top fans are now in intake. I'll try to experiment and play some games and observe which one is better. btw yes, my desktop case is so messed up that's why I'm thinking on upgrading better desktop case. any suggestions that you could give me a budget-friendly bigger case with better airflow?
I would expect change the rear and top to intake will make things worse. I don’t have any specific recommendation but my experience of a case that can take fans on the bottom and intake air underneath the gpu can make a noticeable improvement.

Feb 5, 2022
I would expect change the rear and top to intake will make things worse. I don’t have any specific recommendation but my experience of a case that can take fans on the bottom and intake air underneath the gpu can make a noticeable improvement.
can I try putting my 2 fans from top to bottom of my GPU as an intake? since I don't have any spare fans. I'll use it temporarily

I would try one on the bottom as intake and keep one as exhaust at the rear.
You need air movement around the cpu VRM area.

Edit
All of the fan mounts for your case are very restrictive for air flow. The punched holes for most and the thin slots down one side for the front cut airflow in half or more.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Those temps on the GPU are bad, as in you're not getting full power. Nvidia RTX GPUs once run over 71c are unable to boost as high.

I agree with @Unolocogringo that case's fan mounts are pretty awful. It looks like theres 2 fan mounts in the PSU cover, I would get 2 fans in there blowing air towards the GPU, maybe that would help. The radiator at the front should be intake, the rear and top should all be exhaust.

Start there see what happens.

Either that or buy a new case.

Looks like the case uses the power supply inlet as the inlet for the 2 fan mounts in the power supply shroud.
Putting 2 there would start to starve the power supply for air.
At least from the pics I could find for your case.
If it has more intakes on the bottom add another fan there but keep one at rear to cool VRM.

Feb 5, 2022
Looks like the case uses the power supply inlet as the inlet for the 2 fan mounts in the power supply shroud.
Putting 2 there would start to starve the power supply for air.
At least from the pics I could find for your case.
If it has more intakes on the bottom add another fan there but keep one at rear to cool VRM.
so I just finished playing apex and there were no changes on the temp by having a full intake setup of fans. were you saying that I should put the two fans from top towards the bottom of my GPU as an intake? then I'll put the last fan in the rear as an exhaust.. right?

Feb 5, 2022
Those temps on the GPU are bad, as in you're not getting full power. Nvidia RTX GPUs once run over 71c are unable to boost as high.

I agree with @Unolocogringo that case's fan mounts are pretty awful. It looks like theres 2 fan mounts in the PSU cover, I would get 2 fans in there blowing air towards the GPU, maybe that would help. The radiator at the front should be intake, the rear and top should all be exhaust.

Start there see what happens.

Either that or buy a new case.
yes I'll try to change the placement of my fan since i haven't bought any extra fans yet. does putting it under the GPU gonna affect my power supply?

DSzymborski

Titan
yes I'll try to change the placement of my fan since i haven't bought any extra fans yet. does putting it under the GPU gonna affect my power supply?

No.

That front intake is really a problem though. Not a good design. If you're sticking with the case for now, I'd remove the dust filter; gotta remove a barrier with such anemic intakes. Ideally, you could simply remove the front panel, but like a lot of inexpensive cases (and a few expensive ones), the front I/O seems to be on the front panel rather than on the case itself.

Feb 5, 2022
No.

That front intake is really a problem though. Not a good design. If you're sticking with the case for now, I'd remove the dust filter; gotta remove a barrier with such anemic intakes. Ideally, you could simply remove the front panel, but like a lot of inexpensive cases (and a few expensive ones), the front I/O seems to be on the front panel rather than on the case itself.
so I just started playing Apex again and the temp was still the same (I placed my 2 fans at the bottom of my GPU as an Intake then the last fan at the rear as an exhaust. I didn't change my fans at the front panel because it's my intake for the CPU cooler... I'll try to undervolt my GPU maybe it would help the GPU temp.

Can you mount the AIO in the top position?
This would raise CPU temps a bit ,but still in the good range.
Then put 1 fan in the bottom below as intake for the GPU. 2 in the front bottom as intake .
Take a piece of plastic or stiff paper and some tape and close off the top fan mount in the front. Put it so it will be under the front filter. This will cut down on recirculated air. Heated air from the inside of the case getting drawn out the hole from the front by 2 fans and blown back in.

Next you need to set higher fan curves for your case fans. Your cpu temp is low enough that your case fans do not ramp up. so use a more aggressive profile in bios or Gigabytes motherboard app.
That would probably be the best setup for your case unless you have tools to modify it or money to replace it.
It is pretty but has bad airflow design.

Feb 5, 2022
Can you mount the AIO in the top position?
This would raise CPU temps a bit ,but still in the good range.
Then put 1 fan in the bottom below as intake for the GPU. 2 in the front bottom as intake .
Take a piece of plastic or stiff paper and some tape and close off the top fan mount in the front. Put it so it will be under the front filter. This will cut down on recirculated air. Heated air from the inside of the case getting drawn out the hole from the front by 2 fans and blown back in.

Next you need to set higher fan curves for your case fans. Your cpu temp is low enough that your case fans do not ramp up. so use a more aggressive profile in bios or Gigabytes motherboard app.
That would probably be the best setup for your case unless you have tools to modify it or money to replace it.
It is pretty but has bad airflow design.
You mean I'm gonna make my radiator as an exhaust now? I'll try and i hope it might reduce my GPU temp.

DSzymborski

Titan
You mean I'm gonna make my radiator as an exhaust now? I'll try and i hope it might reduce my GPU temp.

It's a much better idea. With the problematic intake in the front, any air that gets into your PC that way has to get through tiny, awkward vents, a dust filter, and a radiator. With the radiator as a top mounted exhaust, you might actually get some airflow in your PC.

Feb 5, 2022
It's a much better idea. With the problematic intake in the front, any air that gets into your PC that way has to get through tiny, awkward vents, a dust filter, and a radiator. With the radiator as a top mounted exhaust, you might actually get some airflow in your PC.
unfortunately, my radiator doesn't fit the top part of my case..... I wasted my time disassembling the parts yet right after i tried it didn't fit. Is there by any chance i could put my radiator in the front panel as an exhaust? then at the top part I'll put two intake fans and 1 rear for exhaust

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The best solution here would be a new chassis, instead of trying to fight with this.
Tecware's Nexus Air M/M2 or Forge M/M2 would be easy recommendations.

The greatest source of air for the gpu in the Nexus M is through the rear PCIe slots beneath the gpu, with the slot guards removed.
The perforated psu shroud, while better than one that isn't:
-half of it is just blocked off by the psu's frame, whether its fan is facing up or down, not that fan up would be ideal here anyway...
-for the other half, the perforations in the shroud, the psu cables, and the HDD cage(if present), all act as a strainer for bottom air intake.
-the AIO isn't helping. The radiator is another 'wall', in a sense, so there's a stack of 2 walls at the front, and the AIO's fans are supposed to bring air through all that? AIOs are most efficient when the radiators are installed against open mesh panels.

The side ventilation is even narrower than on NZXT's H500... how do we know front fans aren't actually recirculating already heated air? They will do that if the front is blocked off hard enough.

Feb 5, 2022
The best solution here would be a new chassis, instead of trying to fight with this.
Tecware's Nexus Air M/M2 or Forge M/M2 would be easy recommendations.

The greatest source of air for the gpu in the Nexus M is through the rear PCIe slots beneath the gpu, with the slot guards removed.
The perforated psu shroud, while better than one that isn't:
-half of it is just blocked off by the psu's frame, whether its fan is facing up or down, not that fan up would be ideal here anyway...
-for the other half, the perforations in the shroud, the psu cables, and the HDD cage(if present), all act as a strainer for bottom air intake.
-the AIO isn't helping. The radiator is another 'wall', in a sense, so there's a stack of 2 walls at the front, and the AIO's fans are supposed to bring air through all that? AIOs are most efficient when the radiators are installed against open mesh panels.

The side ventilation is even narrower than on NZXT's H500... how do we know front fans aren't actually recirculating already heated air? They will do that if the front is blocked off hard enough.

yes you're completely right. this is what I figured out right after I inserted my radiator and 2060... can you guys suggest to me some good PC airflow cases based on my ambient temp?

yes you're completely right. this is what I figured out right after I inserted my radiator and 2060... can you guys suggest to me some good PC airflow cases based on my ambient temp?

What country are you in and whats your budget?

There have been some good suggestion in this thread to try out but right from the get-go you were fighting a losing battle with that setup.

The case and temps would have been fine had you stuck to the initial 3 x 120mm front intakes, rear and rear top exhaust and a decent tower cooler rather than a 240mm aio which imo is fairly unnecessary for any ryzen cpu apart from the 8c/16t 5*** series.

Throwing 55c heated air at a gpu from a front mounted aio though in a pretty small matx case is always going to inflate gpu temps though, its unavoidable.

The only way in that case youre going to reduce gpu temps is if you can completely remove the psu shrpud AND get an extra 120mm intake fan in below your aio, that may only be 5c or so though in reality which probably still wouldn't be acceptable in your eyes.

Feb 5, 2022
What country are you in and whats your budget?

There have been some good suggestion in this thread to try out but right from the get-go you were fighting a losing battle with that setup.

The case and temps would have been fine had you stuck to the initial 3 x 120mm front intakes, rear and rear top exhaust and a decent tower cooler rather than a 240mm aio which imo is fairly unnecessary for any ryzen cpu apart from the 8c/16t 5*** series.

Throwing 55c heated air at a gpu from a front mounted aio though in a pretty small matx case is always going to inflate gpu temps though, its unavoidable.

The only way in that case youre going to reduce gpu temps is if you can completely remove the psu shrpud AND get an extra 120mm intake fan in below your aio, that may only be 5c or so though in reality which probably still wouldn't be acceptable in your eyes.

My budget would probably 80-100usd. I'm from Philippines. The afternoon here is so hot and the ambient is messed up. I'm trying to research a good PC airflow case. Some youtubers recommendations were Lian Li Lancool 215. Do you think it's a good quality based on my room temp?

My budget would probably 80-100usd. I'm from Philippines. The afternoon here is so hot and the ambient is messed up. I'm trying to research a good PC airflow case. Some youtubers recommendations were Lian Li Lancool 215. Do you think it's a good quality based on my room temp?

There's no real way of lowering your ambient room temps so the best you can do is with a decent airflow case, with good quality unrestricted intakes and what is paramount is getting that h100i fitted
as a top exhaust not a front intake.

The ryzen isnt hard to cool, a h100i can easily manage it even with inflated case temps.

In that respect that lancool 215 absolutely fits the criteria 100%.

Takes top rad exhausts upto 55mm (researching shows the h100 is 52mm including fan so should be fine)

Prefitted 200mm intakes and a ptefittes 120mm exhaust?? You cant really get any better than that.

For me that case would absolutely be in the top 3 for you if it's available in budget.

Be aware that refitting the aio as a top exhaust absolutely WILL inflate cpu temps while lowering gpu temps.

For me personally though (and really for anyone who considers themselves well versed in pc building) cpu and gpu temps of low 70's under full load would be far more preferable to a cpu running in the 50's and a gpu hitting close to 90c.

Feb 5, 2022
There's no real way of lowering your ambient room temps so the best you can do is with a decent airflow case, with good quality unrestricted intakes and what is paramount is getting that h100i fitted
as a top exhaust not a front intake.

The ryzen isnt hard to cool, a h100i can easily manage it even with inflated case temps.

In that respect that lancool 215 absolutely fits the criteria 100%.

Takes top rad exhausts upto 55mm (researching shows the h100 is 52mm including fan so should be fine)

Prefitted 200mm intakes and a ptefittes 120mm exhaust?? You cant really get any better than that.

For me that case would absolutely be in the top 3 for you if it's available in budget.

Be aware that refitting the aio as a top exhaust absolutely WILL inflate cpu temps while lowering gpu temps.

For me personally though (and really for anyone who considers themselves well versed in pc building) cpu and gpu temps of low 70's under full load would be far more preferable to a cpu running in the 50's and a gpu hitting close to 90c.
since I'm not planning to buy a new motherboard. my mobo has only 1 system fan in it (that's where i plugged my radiator fans) then the three case fans were inserted in my power supply. what if i upgraded into h500 cooler master or lian li lancool 215 then i connected their case fans into my PSU. does the RPM of the case fans will change? because i have seen around the internet that my case fans should be inserted in the motherboard. i want to focus on my PC case first because of my tight budget.

since I'm not planning to buy a new motherboard. my mobo has only 1 system fan in it (that's where i plugged my radiator fans) then the three case fans were inserted in my power supply. what if i upgraded into h500 cooler master or lian li lancool 215 then i connected their case fans into my PSU. does the RPM of the case fans will change? because i have seen around the internet that my case fans should be inserted in the motherboard. i want to focus on my PC case first because of my tight budget.

The mesh performance has a built in fan controller, its a full size case and it is more expensive than the 215 but will solve your little issue with only having 1 fan header

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That Technightmare case is pretty much a knockoff clone of nzxt H510.

The psu is fan down, it's its own ecosystem, got nothing to do with anything else as far as airflow goes.

Punch out the back panel slots that are underneath the gpu. Put the radiator on top as exhaust. No front intake fans. The gpu will pull air directly from the missing slot holes, the cpu will be pulling from gpu exhaust/front mesh. Totally negative system.