Question Possible CPU Heat Issue - Intel 13th Gen

snes_rom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
My processor is heating up to 100C when gaming. My friend has a 9900K and only gets up to 70C in the same game with the same settings. I have default motherboard settings and I'm pretty sure my cooler is setup correctly. I applied thermal paste using a small plastic spatula evenly across the processor before installing the heatsink.

The system was unstable when I originally put it together. I RMAd the processor and now the system is stable, but the temps are high. I'm planning to get a Thermalright CPU Contact Frame to improve cooling. Any other ideas how i can run this cooler? Could it be an issue with the motherboard? Is it the Mini ITX form factor? The BIOS manual linked below shows all the options I have in the BIOS.

Hardware Info​

Motherboard​

ROG STRIX B760-I

CPU​

Intel 13900K

Cooler​

iCUE H150i RGB ELITE Liquid CPU Cooler (360mm)

Case​

2000D AIRFLOW Mini-ITX PC Case

BIOS Manual​

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_B760-I_GAMING_WIFI/E21631_ROG_STRIX_B760_series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

ASUS Optimized Defaults​

image.png

BIOS​

PXL_20240419_021151666.jpg

PXL_20240419_021205668.jpg

PXL_20240419_021218162.jpg

snes_rom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Well, there's your problem...
You have a 95W TDP CPU running up to 265W ...
Go into the bios, find the power limit settings and reduce the PL1 and PL2 to something that your cooler can handle at the noise level you want.
Any idea how I would make those changes to my motherboard? I think I found the right setting to change, but it's greyed out and set to auto `Long Duration Package Power Limit` and `Short Duration Package Power Limit`. nothing happens when i click on it. It also wont let me lower the CPU Cache Ratio. I'm looking through the BIOS manual i linked in the OP, but i'm not seeing how to add those limits

Any idea how I would make those changes to my motherboard? I think I found the right setting to change, but it's greyed out and set to auto `Long Duration Package Power Limit` and `Short Duration Package Power Limit`. nothing happens when i click on it. It also wont let me lower the CPU Cache Ratio. I'm looking through the BIOS manual i linked in the OP, but i'm not seeing how to add those limits
Set optimized defaults to off?
That could enable all the setting that it changes.

Maybe if you show that screen somebody knows how to do it for sure.

snes_rom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Set optimized defaults to off?
That could enable all the setting that it changes.

Maybe if you show that screen somebody knows how to do it for sure.
I figured it out. I need to manually type in the number. is 95 a good limit for long and short? I have a picture I want to add, but I keep getting this error when posting.

Code:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
See if there is an option called Intel POR. That's basically the intel factory wattage settings. If that works you don't have to do it manually. Which is what I did originally but some games, like helldiver would see the CPU clock go down from 5.9 to 5.3 due to power limitations.
Also, if you have g-sync on, turn that crap off. I was having performances and crashing issues with my 14900ks and all my fixes would work temporarily. A dev from a indie game told me g-sync creates issues in some unreal 5 game. I have to test it more extensively but I believe this could be what was crashing helldivers 2.

snes_rom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
ASUS just released a beta bios update. Are beta bios safe? Seem like this change will help with overheating.
The update introduces the Intel Baseline Profile option, allowing users to revert to Intel factory default settings for basic functionality, lower power limits, and improving stability in certain games.