Oct 16, 2020
2 days ago my laptop (lenovo y520, undervolted) randomly BSOD'd, I have never had it happen before and it refused to start.
I had to install a fresh version of windows, but every time I tried to install the latest Nvidia drivers I BSOD again (for some reason the drivers released last august dont cause BSOD).
(BSOD error code is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED caused by Nvlddmkm.sys)
My device manager reports that my GPU drivers aren't working (both before and after driver installation.) "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" image here
I have tried using Display Driver Uninstaller, and I have tried a clean install of the supported drivers to no effect.
Gpu Z reports 0 mhz clock speed. Image here

I have a feeling that my GPU is fried, which would be very unfortunate as I am a 3d modeling hobbyist and I play a lot of video games.
If it is fried, is it possible to replace the GPU without tossing the entire motherboard? I believe the Lenovo y520 is no longer sold, so I would think that the parts aren't sold either.

Any advice on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: It_is_I_Mani
Oct 20, 2020
Bro I have the exact same problem from past two days and i am using lenovo ideapad 520. I was playing Rainbow six siege the game crashed few times before going into BSOD loop and eventually corrupting my os. I reinstalled Os and tried to install latest Nvidea graphic driver and the system displays BSOD just before the setup finishes... i reinstalled the windows 1904 version and installed previous year nvidea drivers but the "device has been stopped by the windows(code 43)" is present.