Question Possible GeForce GTX 1080TI GPU upgrade ?

Dec 20, 2022
Hello Everyone, hope you all had a great thanksgiving this year. With this years deal rolling on through I thought i'd give it some thought in doing some upgrades for the PC and was wondering if any, what you guys might recommend for an upgrade. I have a coworker who has a couple graphics cards they've been holding onto as well and was curious if it'd be worth even considering taking them up on that offer. They have these two at the moment:

• GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card,
  • MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Video Card.

They said they'd sell it for $400. Would any of you recommend i take them up on their offer? If so which one should I pick? and if not what would you guys recommend or consider to be a decent upgrade. For additional context and reason I'm considering this is to get ahead of the curb for future games with better graphics.

For additional information on what im currently running with:

My system is:
Cpu: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (decive manager says "1080 Ti" but the part only says "GTX 1080"
SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Monitor: Dell S2721DGF (DP) i do plan on updating this as well sometime in the next few months

Last edited:
The RTX 3070 Ti is limited by it's modest 8GB vram and has been known to cause freezing and glitching while playing some games on the highest settings. To alleviate those issues you can simply turn down the graphics settings.

Video reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H7epxa5ris&t=758s

The 3070 Ti is not going to get you ahead of the curve for future games and graphics. The RTX 40 series has DLSS 3.5 and can get you further ahead; however, Nvidia left everyone who owned a GTX 1080 Ti behind unless they want to spend $1,200 -$2,000 on an RTX 4080 or 4090. I for one don't believe gaming should cost that much and have been boycotting Nvidia until they make GPUs great again for 1440p and 4K gaming. I want a 16GB 256-bit gaming graphics card that beats AMD in performance and falls within 10-20% of AMDs price at around $500-600. Until then, I don't see myself buying a 1440p or 4K Nvidia gamin graphics card.

I went from a GTX 1080 Ti at $769 in 2017 to an RX 6950 XT at $699 in 2023. However, my particular RX 6950 XT has some issues where it glitches out while doing desktop productivity such as MS Office and Notepad. Also, it runs at 97C unless I undervolt it. I don't really like it so far. It's difficult either way I look at it.

You could possibly wait for Nvidia to come around with the RTX 40 Super lineup in January. Honestly though, you could buy the 3070 Ti and use it until you find the right GPU upgrade in the future. Idk.. things still look pretty bleak for 1440p and 4K gamers right now unless we settle for less than the best from both Nvidia or AMD. Either that or pay $2K grand for a GPU. Pfff.

Reactions: Xanzibar