Question Possible keyboard drivers issue

santijamesf

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
So my PC has been having a really annoying issue since yesterday. I believe it's the keyboard drivers at fault but I don't really know because I already tried fixing it to no avail. Basically, the up key is constantly being pressed and I can't seem to fix it because I can't even make it to the device manager to reinstall the drivers.
https://youtube.com/shorts/ohSoBrri97M
Edit
Specs
OS is windows 10
MSI B150 Gaming M3
Intel Core I5 7500
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb
Trident Z 8gb 3200 x2

Keyboard is the Steel series Apex
The issue seems to randomly appear and disappear as well
While trying to download the Steel series engine to my C drive, it is saying I don't have permission to do so, as if I no longer have admin access to my PC... wtf.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Sticking key?

Does the problem occur if you boot into Safe Mode?

Try another known working keyboard on your computer.

Try your keyboard on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem follows the keyboard or stays with the computer.

Clean the keyboard per the manufacturer's instructions.

As for the drivers are you using some third party installer?

If so, try going directly to keyboard manufacturer's website to manually download the drivers. Install and reconfigure.

Reactions: santijamesf

santijamesf

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
Sticking key?

If so, try going directly to keyboard manufacturer's website to manually download the drivers. Install and reconfigure.
Haven't tried safe mode yet, but I just tried using another keyboard that I know works fine, and the issue is still there after restarting. As for the drivers, I am not using any third party software to update them.

santijamesf

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
Sticking key?

Just tried safe mode and it still persists, guess it's not the drivers?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include specific keyboard make an model information.

Uninstall/remove the keyboard's drivers.

Will the keyboard work with the built in Windows keyboard drivers? Either after a normal boot and/or safe mode boot?

If not, there may be some corrupted files involved which may be fixable using "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

santijamesf

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
Just updated to include specs, and something new I noticed, its not allowing me to install the Steel series engine, which would allow me to install their newest drivers for my keyboard as it says I do not have permission to do so, even though I am the only user. It doesn't even give me the option to use admin privileges to allow it to install.

santijamesf

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include specific keyboard make an model information.

Uninstall/remove the keyboard's drivers.

Will the keyboard work with the built in Windows keyboard drivers? Either after a normal boot and/or safe mode boot?

If not, there may be some corrupted files involved which may be fixable using "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
Alright, just ran a /scannow command and it finished abd repaired the corrupted files. Should I run a dism anyways or should I be good now? It seems to have fixed the issues for now.

Ralston18

Titan
I would run dism - sometimes it will clean up other things that have not yet caused a problem(s).

However, as you always should be doing anyway, be sure back up all important data at least 2 x to locations away from the current host PC.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

santijamesf

Reputable
Oct 31, 2017
I would run dism - sometimes it will clean up other things that have not yet caused a problem(s).

However, as you always should be doing anyway, be sure back up all important data at least 2 x to locations away from the current host PC.

Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.
Thanks, will do.