Question Possible performance drop after RAM upgrade

bubyy_tomshardware

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
So a few days ago I upgraded my 2 sticks of HyperX Fury 4GB 2133MHz DDR4 memory to 2 sticks of Patriot Viper Steel 8GB 3200MHz.
My motherboard supports only up to 2400MHz RAM, but I have read on the internet that faster RAM will just downclock to the mobo maximum and everything will be OK.
I bought the faster RAM so my PC is future-proof because I am hopefully going to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 soon.

I noticed that in Call of Duty MW I am getting lower FPS than I should, around 20-30 less (tested on the same gamemode & map) and sometimes I get FPS drops to around 90 and it looks like it dropped to below 60 (doesn't look smooth). In CS:GO though, I am getting the same FPS as with the old memory. The stutters in PUBG I was having with 8GB RAM though, are now gone.

So I don't really know if my RAM is faulty. Is this happening because of the downclock? Maybe the memory doesn't work as intented when working at a lower speed? Maybe the timings? I have no experience with RAM.
I ran the Windows memory test and it says it hasn't detected any errors. Should I be worried?

I am running an i5 7500 and a GTX 1660 6GB.
XMP is enabled ofcourse.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: