Question Possible Problem with PSU?

Jul 18, 2021
I have a corsair RM 850w PSU, in the past couple of days there have been some problems with my PC, first one being the PSU will just restart sometimes, or the screen will go black and I cannot do anything including turning the tower off by power button. I need to go behind the PC and flick the switch.

Today a new problem arose, my PC just turn off, no crash nothing, it just turned off. I feel like it has got to be the PSU but it is only nearly 2 years old!

The other components are:

MB: Aorus B550 Pro AC
GPU: Gigabyte 1050ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x16 3200mhz
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x with cooler master ML360r AIO
Storage: 1TB WD M.2 SSD (Boot drive) and a 2TB Barracuda HD.

This problem normally occurs when playing Video games like Valorant, Hunt Showdown, and Arma 3 but today it also happened whilst just sitting mostly idle.

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What are the RAM settings in MB BIOS?

What is the exact model of the RAM? It's something like CMW32GX4M2C3200C16
And what's the version number?
e42corsair_modelsticker.jpg.54d6157e4368d400e741be10eedc7357.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
What did the PSU power in the space of those 2 years? In order to rule out the PSU being the culprit, source a reliably built 550W PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if your system functions normally when taxed. As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing? If the system shuts down when taxed, it can usually happen for one of two reasons;
a| the system is overheating, i.e, thermal protection
or
b| the PSU is incapable of delivering power to all components when taxed

Jul 18, 2021
What did the PSU power in the space of those 2 years? In order to rule out the PSU being the culprit, source a reliably built 550W PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if your system functions normally when taxed. As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing? If the system shuts down when taxed, it can usually happen for one of two reasons;
a| the system is overheating, i.e, thermal protection
or
b| the PSU is incapable of delivering power to all components when taxed
It is powered the same thing for two years, I got the PSU brand new. the chance my PC is drawing too much power is slim. This power supply should be able to run my current build and then a 6800xt. For the Bios, I am using version F14e it is the newest version

Hello jellisellis. While you're troubleshooting your issue, I strongly recommend that you also submit a RMA request to Corsair, so that you have the option of receiving a replacement under your warranty. Once approved, hopefully they offer a reasonable advanced RMA option.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Also, your dual channel RAM kit should be in slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slot away from the CPU socket).

Question: Do you have the option of borrowing a PSU from someone, as Lutfij recommended?

FYI: One of my family member's computers previously had a similar issue, with somewhat similar specs: Ryzen 5 2600 / 16GB 2400 MHz / GTX 1660 Ti / 500 GB NVMe SSD / EVGA P2 850. I would run the Epic launcher in order to simply update Fortnite, and the system would reboot in ten minutes or less. The issue was repeatable, and the PSU was only about two years old. I submitted a warranty request to EVGA and the new replacement unit solved the problem. My point is the power supply is a possible culprit, as the system was working without incident for two years until one day it just wasn't.

Reactions: jellisellis
Jul 18, 2021
Hello jellisellis. While you're troubleshooting your issue, I strongly recommend that you also submit a RMA request to Corsair, so that you have the option of receiving a replacement under your warranty. Once approved, hopefully they offer a reasonable advanced RMA option.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Also, your dual channel RAM kit should be in slots A2 and B2 (2nd and 4th slot away from the CPU socket).

Question: Do you have the option of borrowing a PSU from someone, as Lutfij recommended?

FYI: One of my family member's computers previously had a similar issue, with somewhat similar specs: Ryzen 5 2600 / 16GB 2400 MHz / GTX 1660 Ti / 500 GB NVMe SSD / EVGA P2 850. I would run the Epic launcher in order to simply update Fortnite, and the system would reboot in ten minutes or less. The issue was repeatable, and the PSU was only about two years old. I submitted a warranty request to EVGA and the new replacement unit solved the problem. My point is the power supply is a possible culprit, as the system was working without incident for two years until one day it just wasn't.
Thank you, I will put an RMA request into Corsair soon!

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
PSU will just restart sometimes, or the screen will go black and I cannot do anything including turning the tower off by power button. I need to go behind the PC and flick the switch.
How do you figure if it restarts if there's no display and you can't do anything ? Please, don't use terminology you don't understand, it only complicates things. So reset button on the case didn't work either ?
my PC just turn off, no crash nothing, it just turned off.
Again, reset button on the case didn't work ? And you had to flick the PSU switch to be able to turn the PC on again ?