Question Possible PSU problem?

May 17, 2022
Hello!
I have been experiencing restarts with my computer (specs will be at the end) at random points. I can casually watch YouTube and it will restart or I can play some games and it restarts upon till today did the restarts go the whole way through a new start up so I could login again but now when it happens it just stays black. I suspect it might be a faulty PSU but I'm also suspecting a faulty CPU since I have tried a worse CPU and MOBO and no crashes but I think its because my Intel CPU only draws 65W and my Ryzen draws 105W
I have updated every driver to the latest and the same with BIOS and it didn't fix it. I have also completely reinstalled windows 3 times to try and fix it but still random crash and reboots.
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
MSI B550A-PRO
Corsair TX650W
Asus GTX 1070 Strix
Corsair Vengeance 8x2 3000mhz DDR4
Samsung EVO 970 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM x2

The specs on the computer that works are:
Intel i5 6500
Asus Z170-P
Asus GTX 1070 Strix
Corsair Vengeance 8x2 3000mhzDDR4
Corsair TX650W
Samsung EVO 970 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM x2

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try setting xmp on the Ryzen, but manually change the ram speed to 2933MHz instead of 3000MHz. Go into the amd overclocking tabs, look for fclock and change that from Auto to 1466MHz.

Some boards just really do not like 3000MHz ram as it's based on 200Hz clocks instead of 266Hz.

May 17, 2022
I have never had this problem before in the 4 years of owning it so it sounds weird that it started doing it now, wouldn't it be a problem from the beginning?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not necessarily. Windows is constantly changing, drivers are changing, game cheats are changing, could be anything that upset the balance. A simple major windows update can and does reset many-all of the options like Xbox DVR and Game Helper, even audio defaults that you might have changed. It'll even reset the power plan sometimes if there's a change to that.

May 17, 2022
Yeah, but it started out of thin air, no recent updates or nothing just started the computer one morning and it crashed and rebooted later that night after some gaming.
I also have not seen any changes when a update had gone through, only thing that was weird was when I had my energyplan set to energy save it never crashed but the preformance was in the trashcan but as soon as I put it up to AMD High Preformance it would crash after like 1-2 hours

And I did install every latest driver when first reinstalled with Windows 10 but it still crashed, then I updated to Windows 11 and updated every driver to the windows 11 ones but still the same result

Last edited: