Question Possible to change usb port driver to a usb header driver?

Oct 10, 2022
So I recently moved country and while here hired someone to dismantle my PC and send over the parts.
Upon rebuilding I realised they didn't send the usb cable for my liquid cooler.. big problem.

I've put in a support request with NZXT to get a replacement cable, but, in the meantime, I tried using a normal usb mini B to usb A by running the cable out the back of my case.
This managed to turn on the lights and stop the CPU fan error upon booting, however my aio still isn't recognised by the CAM software.

So I figured, perhaps it could be solved by a driver change?
Hence my question, would it be possible to change the driver for the usb port and switch it to the driver for the usb 2.0 header on the motherboard? Potentially this could make the cam software recognise the aio and I could use it until my replacement cable arrives? Maybe not but makes me curious, any help would be much appreciated!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I don't fully understand what are you asking from us.

The part which i think i get, is not possible to do. Since there are no such "drivers".

Also, did you try out ALL USB 2.0 ports your PC has? Since internal USB 2.0 header, usually, is routed to PC case front I/O and serves as two USB 2.0 ports.

Oct 10, 2022
Huh, I'm not entirely sure how else to word it, but I assumed that the usb ports on the back of the motherboard would have a different driver to the usb headers no? And in assuming this thought that it might be possible to switch them around.
But I guess not then lol

I tried the closest 2 ports that the cable I have could reach, but I'll go out and buy a new cable today and test the other ports, hopefully one of them works! Apologies for the dumb question.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but I assumed that the usb ports on the back of the motherboard would have a different driver to the usb headers no?

No. There is single "driver" for all USB and while MoBo can make a difference in which port what is plugged in, you can't "rebind" the ports as you can rebind the keys on keyboard (e.g make Shift key to work like Crtl). And the latter isn't that easy either.

Same (no rebind) goes to the other ports/slots on MoBo as well, including: RAM slots, PCI-E slots, fan headers.

Apologies for the dumb question.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. ;)
Meaning that, there is no such thing as a stupid question if it's sincere. Better to ask and risk appearing stupid than to continue on your ignorant way and make a stupid mistake.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My thinking is that I suspect the choice of WHERE (i,e., on what port address) the NZXT CAM software expects to find the AIO system connected is fixed in the CAM software, and not by the mobo's USB device drivers. With that in mind, you might try this just in case it helps. It is intended to delete whatever info CAM has already stored for where the address WAS, and force it to re-discover the current place.

UNinstall CAM. Reboot. INSTALL CAM again. this MAY force it to start fresh in its search for the AIO system. Note that, IF this works, you will need to do it all again after you have the replacement cable and can re-connect the old way.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My thinking is that I suspect the choice of WHERE (i,e., on what port address) the NZXT CAM software expects to find the AIO system connected is fixed in the CAM software, and not by the mobo's USB device drivers. With that in mind, you might try this just in case it helps. It is intended to delete whatever info CAM has already stored for where the address WAS, and force it to re-discover the current place.

I'm not so sure about that.

I too use NZXT CAM, but with HUE+ and AER fans with LED strips.
Back in the day, when i got my HUE+, i ran out of internal USB 2.0 headers, where to connect the HUE+. So, i had to use micro-USB to USB A cable and route it through one of the PCI slots, to the MoBo back I/O panel.

Pic too:
(See the missing PCI slot cover and cable going through?)

rhXHeDv.jpg

Ran that setup (eyesore) for a while, until i bought NZXT internal USB hub, to expand my internal USB 2.0 headers. I didn't have to reinstall CAM, for it to detect my HUE+ on a new USB header/port after i rerouted the cable.