[SOLVED] Possible upgrades for acer predator g3?

Jul 16, 2020
Having issues running NMS on my computer without having regular lag spikes. I’ve upgraded to a larger SSD but wondering what all I could upgrade, or do over time?
Current specs are :
Intel I-75 7400 @3.00ghz
12gb ram (64 max?)
Gtx 1060 3gb

What would fit current MOBO, or would be a decent upgrade? I was told by a local shop that I needed to just purchase a newer desktop but I was hoping I could keep this one, it’s really strong just lacks in the current game I’ve been playing. I know No Mans Sky is taxing on systems, so I don’t know if I can get an amazing upgrade, but willing to try and deal with what I end up with. Any advice would be awesome!
And how outdated is this system really?
Apologize in advance for too many questions or being posted in the wrong area, new to the forum.

Solution
Using 4 sticks is fine, especially if cheaper. If the CPU maxes out in the game often that is your weak area, but the 3gb 1060 is a fairly lower end video card, you may need to upgrade that as well unless you turn down setting to get smoother FPS.
Having issues running NMS on my computer without having regular lag spikes. I’ve upgraded to a larger SSD but wondering what all I could upgrade, or do over time?
Current specs are :
Intel I-75 7400 @3.00ghz
12gb ram (64 max?)
Gtx 1060 3gb

What would fit current MOBO, or would be a decent upgrade? I was told by a local shop that I needed to just purchase a newer desktop but I was hoping I could keep this one, it’s really strong just lacks in the current game I’ve been playing. I know No Mans Sky is taxing on systems, so I don’t know if I can get an amazing upgrade, but willing to try and deal with what I end up with. Any advice would be awesome!
And how outdated is this system really?
Apologize in advance for too many questions or being posted in the wrong area, new to the forum.

Lag as in your ping times are high or your FPS is not good? Did you check your CPU and video card usage to see if one is holding the other back in this game? You have 12 GB of RAM so chances are good you are not running in full dual channel mode, you want to either use two 8gb sticks or four 4gb sticks. A better CPU may help you better in this game but keep in mind your 3gb 1060 is a lower speed version of the card so upgrading that is a good idea as well.

Jul 16, 2020
Lag as in choppy frame rate, and occasional stops. Network is great. I downloaded a performance manager and I’m noticing the cpu spikes to 100% pretty often, whereas RAM stays about 60%. Also wondering what all I should look into as ram. I’m reading higher MHz ratings mean better performance, and I can get ahold of 32g ddr4 pretty cheaply. My friend swears that purchasing 4 sticks of 8gb, matching, will have a better performance than two 16gb sticks. Seems that is negligible, but the four smaller sticks are much cheaper.

Last edited:
Using 4 sticks is fine, especially if cheaper. If the CPU maxes out in the game often that is your weak area, but the 3gb 1060 is a fairly lower end video card, you may need to upgrade that as well unless you turn down setting to get smoother FPS.

Solution