Question Possible water damage to cpu, "USB not recognized" on game controllers; salvageable?

Apr 3, 2023
Hello, I recently made the mistake of leaving a window behind my tower open while I was out; during this time, a huge rain storm passed through that likely got into the tower onto the power supply and/or cpu. The computer was also in sleep mode during this. Upon returning, I inspected the tower to see if it was wet, as the window behind it was partially covered by a curtain and after not seeing or feeling any wetness I turned the computer back on. I did not see or hear anything unusual and there was no noticeable change in performance initially, keyboard and mouse both working. However, when I plugged in a game controller it disconnected after a few seconds and I got the windows message "USB device not recognized", which has not happened on any prior occasions. I tested both another USB port and another controller but got the same result in both instances. I then decided to turn the computer off but only the monitor did at first, as the tower remained on and my mouse began to blink red every 2-3 seconds; after a few minutes of this I held down the power button to turn it off. I have since turned it on again for further controller testing with the same results, and shut it down for the time being which happened with no issues. The places that most likely got wet from the rain are the power supply and the CPU. Is there anything I can do to fix this or has turning the computer on/off already done irreparable damage to these components?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Just an FYI, legibility has been one of the factors aiding or preventing people from/in responding to threads. In your case, if you could add spaces between the wall of text, that would aid in comprehension.

If I were you, I'd tear down the entire build and in that process inspect for any signs of water contact(you should see a slight residue), then have it all air dry under a fan.