andym74

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Hi. After trying to install a new DVD writer, my computer has developed a major problem. When switching the machine on I am now greeted with half a second of startup - the fans spinning etc - before everything shuts down and stops again. This is as far as I can get in the bootup process, and once shutdown I then have to swith the PSU off at the back of the machine, leave it off for about 10 seconds, then switch it back on before it will let me try again.

My computer isn't a new build. It has been perfect for me for a couple of years, so I can only think that I've done something while trying to put in the new DVD writer. I've stripped the motherboard down to just CPU, memory and video card, but I'm getting the same problem. My spec is

AMD 64-bit 3000 CPU
MSI K8N Neo4
2x512MB Corsair memory
Antec 380W PSU
Nvidia 6600GT Gfx Card

Any ideas? TIA

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Your power supply seems kind of weak. I blew up a 450w power supply with similar specs to your machine (granted it came with the case). Does it give any beeps upon trying to start the computer? Is it an additional dvd rom to what you already have? Are you overclocking anything? To me, it seems as though your PS has gone bad or you have a bad ground somewhere.

andym74

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008

Thanks for the reply. I get no beeps at all on starting the computer. Just a quick whirl of the fans starting up. The case power light at the front comes on, then dies along with the fans. The DVD writer is a replacement for an older DVD player, so it's not an extra component in that regard. Nothing is being overclocked.

I'll strip the mobo out of the case completely later on, dust it down and start a rebuild from scratch, see if that helps. Thankfully I have my laptop to keep me going while I sort this out.