Power cycles on and off after installing SSD. PSU boned?

temp89

Reputable
Nov 3, 2016
i7-8700K
Z370 Gaming Plus D4 ATX mobo
Nvidia GTX1080
16GB DDR5 ram
Corsair 650TX psu

I was installing an SSD drive and now my computer powers on for a second, powers off, powers on, etc. No beeps.

To give some history I upgraded my computer in preparation for VR back in March. Didn't replace my PSU as 600+ watts was rated enough. System has been working fine. Decided to upgrade my HDD to an SSD. Cloned it, unplugged my HDD, powered up and logged in to set it as my primary. Powered down and replugged in my HDD for formatting and the power problems presented themselves when I tried to switch it on.

I have a Coolermaster N300 case and it only has 1 SSD bay at the very bottom which you have to screw in from outside the case. Concerned it might have caused a short.

I've removed the SSD and put back my HDD. Still same problem.

Removed GPU and RAM and got the expected long continuous beep.

Added RAM and used the mobo's video output. It powers on long enough to get to Windows but powered off before I could find any voltage utilities modern enough to work with my mobo (speedfan draws a blank).

Is there any way to narrow down the problem? Concerned repeated use at insufficient voltage will cause damage.

temp89

Reputable
Nov 3, 2016

yep, same problem

Honestly at this point. Only way to really tell if its the PSU or not is to get a voltage meter and test it.

There are a few different certifications of that PSU. Do you know what level it is certed for? I'm guessing bronze? If you go to replace it, I'd recommend not going less then Gold for rated PSUs.

temp89

Reputable
Nov 3, 2016
Tried reseating everything, changing power cable, changing outlet, and a bunch of other things to no avail. Changing PSU fixed it so I guess that's that. Back to VRing,

edit: is there a way to pick your own posts as a solution?