Question Power Draw lower than normal which affects gaming performance

Mar 7, 2024
Hi,

Got PC built from new components, and ~50% of the times I start it it has a weird behavior of being quiter than should be, and performing worse than it should, at lower power draw. It doesn't seem to affect CPU although I could be wrong. The hallmark of it is GPU being at fine working frequencies and being 100% loaded yet consuming 50-75% power and giving 50-75% fps. In Elden Ring for instance, the game is capped at 60 fps. Yet my 4070 sits at 90-120 w power draw which is almost fine for 2k 60fps (but when this issue happens even at 1080p it's not 60 fps) but gpu load is 100% instead of more realistic 60-80%, and fps is 30-40. Sometimes waiting works, but then after character dies it still happens for a bit after respawning with identical symptoms and then becomes fine again. But at some launches of pc it sits at 90-100w and no more with terrible performance on elden ring. Even FurMark when this happens makes gpu consume only 160 w sometimes
I have no idea what component it could be, and whether it's software or hardware issue. What I tried is setting priority high, turning high performance mode wherever it was, deleting-reinstalling gpu drivers
Hardware is 7500f, 4070 zotac 2x, 32gb ddr5, psu deepcool pk750d 750w, motherboard gigabyte b650m. My gpu temps are a bit high when properly working (75c) but far from throttling so it shouldn't be a cause

Sorry for incoherent description. I kinda have a lot of data but it's hard to put it right since I don't actually know what to make of it. If not solution, ideas on what components, and whether it's software or hardware are appreciated.
Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

gigabyte b650m
BIOS version for your motherboard?

deleting-reinstalling gpu drivers
Can you elaborate on this? Did you just delete them and then let the OS reinstall them for you? Or did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia), manually reinstalling with the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command?

I'm assuming you're on Windows OS, if so, please specify what version you're on. If not, please specify the OS you're working with.

Mar 7, 2024

gigabyte b650m

Can you elaborate on this? Did you just delete them and then let the OS reinstall them for you? Or did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia), manually reinstalling with the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command?

I'm assuming you're on Windows OS, if so, please specify what version you're on. If not, please specify the OS you're working with.
Thank you!

I'm sorry I can't check the BIOS version atm since I don't have a keyboard on the PC.

The PC is brand new and has only Nvidia which from what I read means that it's fine to choose the restart option.

Do you have any ideas regarding the issue itself?

To put it shortly. Low power consumption and low performance, yet normal frequencies for the GPU, 100% GPU usage. In FurMark for example it shows 160w consumption instead of 200w. There is no throttling, no bottlenecks.

Mar 7, 2024

gigabyte b650m

Update: in gpu-z I found this info:
Video adapter supports PCIe x 16 4.0
Now using: x1 1.1
After reloading it's using x 16 4.0 but next time it will be x1 1.1 again
Do you have any ideas how to solve this?

Last edited: