Apr 15, 2024
Hi all,

I have been troubleshooting a GPU issue and though maybe I had a bad PS (Corsair RM1000x) at first. I ordered a second thinking the first was dead. For fun I moved ATX power to one PS and the CPU power to the other. PC didn't boot so I am curious how it knows it's not connected to the same PS. Additionally, the fans don't turn on when cable is connected to separate PS.

My original issue is GPU (asus geforce rtx 4070ti super) wont power on when power is connected to GPU. I think I have done just about everything I could find on the internet as well as purchasing a second GPU (MSI 4070ti super) with the same result. Leaning towards a motherboard next. Details are in my only other thread. PC runs great otherwise.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
For fun I moved ATX power to one PS and the CPU power to the other. PC didn't boot so I am curious how it knows it's not connected to the same PS. Additionally, the fans don't turn on when cable is connected to separate PS.
Fan in the PS, GPU or the computer?

If only the GPU is being powered by the PS, you need to jump start the PSU first.
This can be done using a paperclip [guide] and is fairly simple. Once it's been done, you can power the GPU using a separate PS.

Reactions: CJ7PC
Hi all,

I have been troubleshooting a GPU issue and though maybe I had a bad PS (Corsair RM1000x) at first. I ordered a second thinking the first was dead. For fun I moved ATX power to one PS and the CPU power to the other. PC didn't boot so I am curious how it knows it's not connected to the same PS. Additionally, the fans don't turn on when cable is connected to separate PS.

My original issue is GPU (asus geforce rtx 4070ti super) wont power on when power is connected to GPU. I think I have done just about everything I could find on the internet as well as purchasing a second GPU (MSI 4070ti super) with the same result. Leaning towards a motherboard next. Details are in my only other thread. PC runs great otherwise.

Which motherboard you using ? Ram etc

Apr 15, 2024

If only the GPU is being powered by the PS, you need to jump start the PSU first.
This can be done using a paperclip [guide] and is fairly simple. Once it's been done, you can power the GPU using a separate PS.
Sorry - The system fans don't spin when I connected to the second PS. (sata to power module that came with the icue h100i

Apr 15, 2024
Which motherboard you using ? Ram etc
-MSI Pro B760-P WIFI DDR4 (BIOS updated to latest)
-PSU Corsair RM1000x
-Cooler Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT
-Intel Core i9 14900k 3.2GHz
-ASUS Geforce RTX 4070Ti Super 16gb
-LL120s all hooked into the power module from the CPU cooler
-G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

-MSI Pro B760-P WIFI DDR4 (BIOS updated to latest)
-PSU Corsair RM1000x
-Cooler Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT
-Intel Core i9 14900k 3.2GHz
-ASUS Geforce RTX 4070Ti Super 16gb
-LL120s all hooked into the power module from the CPU cooler
-G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

hate msi boards half this damn forum is msi boards lol.

are you using the adapter cable with it ? like the crappy pin cable. with like 2 8 pin headers to a 16 pin

how many pci cables are you using from the psu if the adapter has 3 8 pins to 16 pin you need 3 of the pci cables if theres only 2 8 pins on the adapter you will need 2 pci cables.

other option is this

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/p/pc-...5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284

Apr 15, 2024

I jumped the second PS and it worked as expected. I plugged the GPU into the second PS with the jumper cable in and the gpu prevents the PS from booting. I hear the same quiet click when I have the gpu plugged into the 1st PS. PC still booted as all the other cables were in the other PS
hate msi boards half this damn forum is msi boards lol.

are you using the adapter cable with it ? like the crappy pin cable. with like 2 8 pin headers to a 16 pin

how many pci cables are you using from the psu if the adapter has 3 8 pins to 16 pin you need 3 of the pci cables if theres only 2 8 pins on the adapter you will need 2 pci cables.

other option is this

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/p/pc-...5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284
yea thats is the cable type it comes with. Running two 8 pins to PS. I ordered a new motherboard. I literally cant find anything else to check. I have tried with an ASUS 4070ti super and the MSI 4070ti super with same result.

I jumped the second PS and it worked as expected. I plugged the GPU into the second PS with the jumper cable in and the gpu prevents the PS from booting. I hear the same quiet click when I have the gpu plugged into the 1st PS. PC still booted as all the other cables were in the other PS

yea thats is the cable type it comes with. Running two 8 pins to PS. I ordered a new motherboard. I literally cant find anything else to check. I have tried with an ASUS 4070ti super and the MSI 4070ti super with same result.

might be bonkers but it probly is the board at least from my experience i had one msi board do this to me where it refused to work with a psu ( said psu is actually running in my cousins rig for last 3 years tested all rails)

Apr 15, 2024
might be bonkers but it probly is the board at least from my experience i had one msi board do this to me where it refused to work with a psu ( said psu is actually running in my cousins rig for last 3 years tested all rails)
I bought another MB (MSI Pro Z790-A WIFI and I get the same result

TRENDING THREADS