Question Power Supply Caught Fire

Jun 26, 2020
Hi guys. If it’s not one thing it’s another. I had a tech over building my new PC. Apparently my power supply had a short in the chord and sparked and had a tiny flame. He unplugged it fast and we were going to try a new Power Supply, but his manager advised him over the phone against it and told me I should send all the parts back for a replacement. The motherboard and CPU. Even though the tech said it didn’t look damaged. He really wanted to try a new PSU and troubleshoot but his boss wouldn’t let him.
The motherboard doesn’t look damaged to me and there’s no fry marks. I got return labels just in case. Should I just get a new PSU and try it first before sending everything back? All the parts I have are sold out so I know it’s gonna be a lengthy delay in receiving it if I have to send back.

Motherboard photo after the PSU sparked: https://ibb.co/WHXdkgk

Jun 26, 2020
What PSU was it?

And yes I would simply buy a replacement PSU (something of good quality) and try it before messing around trying to return a bunch of parts. Generally speaking most PSUs have protections in them that will prevent damage to the computer.

I believe it was an older Evega 500 Watts. But I’ll try buying a new CPU and having a different tech try it. Because the replacement would be so tough during the pandemic because parts are sold out everywhere. Thank you for your advice.

Edit: replacements** I will be replacing the CPU