cooldude237

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Greetings! Recently, I've been experiencing a pretty obnoxious issue with my computer and I've been having a difficult time diagnosing it.

An issue started occurring about a month ago with my computer suddenly black screening and rebooting with the ASUS anti-surge crap popping up every single time. These crashes exclusively happened when the computer was under load when playing games never on the desktop though. When I say it was under load, I don't even mean games that require significant performance, I'm talking about games such as EDF 4, Left 4 Dead 2, Hearts of Iron IV and most recently Stellaris.

So after about 2 or 3 times, I figured that this wasn't a one-off thing and decided to open up hardware monitor while I played and what I got didn't seem to point to any one specific part. CPU temps were 45-50 degrees Celsius, my graphics card temps stayed in the high 30's and PSU voltages seemed to be regular. What did tip me off to this being a power supply problem was the amount of heat and noise it produces under any load. My power supply is at the top of the case and putting my hand on the case, over where the power supply is, the top of the case is easily around 90 degrees Fahrenheit and that's just the heat that gets transferred through the case. And the noise, it's so incredibly loud. I attempted dusting my whole computer thinking dust was blocking fans and that did not fix it. The 2 other things I'd like to mention is that right before my computer crashes, my rear USB ports seem to fail, as my external hard drive keeps rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting over and over and the mouse and keyboard start functioning erratically. This lasts for about 20 seconds and then it crashes on me. The other thing is that there is an awful burnt plastic smell that comes from the computer under load and I know for a fact that I should not be smelling that (or breathing in the fumes).

Please, any guidance as to what this could be or what steps to take to avoid damage to my parts and fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oops I forgot specs

CPU: AMD FX 4350
GPU: GTX 750TI
RAM: 4GB DDR3
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W

This PSU might be the culprit, IMO. The Thermaltake TR2 power supply is a VERY poor/inferior quality model, and they all have had bad reputation in the past as well. Don't ask why, but I've read many horror stories regrading this TR2 Model.

Not recommended for GAMING PCs. Replace this PSU ASAP. That's a very low-end TIER power supply.