power surge damage?

haseeb17

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello,
Recently a power surge fried my psu and i had to replace it. Thankfully the rest of my system seemed fine except that the audio output had very loud drowning static sound for my speakers and headphones. Since i was using the internal sound card of my motherboard, i thought it might have been damaged by the power surge. So i bought a cheap sabrent external usb sound card which reduced the static noise by 85% for audio output but it does not detect my mic. i have tried setting it the default mic, update driver and all the other obvious stuff but cant get it to work. Do i need to buy a proper sound card or is there another way to fix it?

Also after the surge i noticed that my ram seems to be constantly at 30-40% usage at idle and maxes out if i have bluestacks and chrome running at the same time for a while, which causes windows to freeze up, do you think the ram module is damaged or it is because of some hidden background process running?

here is my system:
cpu: i7-4790k
motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5
ram: single 8gb ddr3 1866Mhz kingston hyper fury x
gpu: amd r9 390
new psu: 550W evga g2 psu
link to external usb sound card:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi,

The audio side of things could definitely be the result of surge damage.

The RAM however, I doubt it's surge. Check for any processes running.

Unless you're seeing 70-100% usage I wouldn't be worried.

In terms of the board I'd recommend flat out replacing it as it could now be a ticking time bomb.