[SOLVED] Practically new build but getting yellow led on DRAM boot error and no signal to monitor ?

Jtull55

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Specs are:
CPU - Ryzen 3600 3.6ghz 6-core processer
Motherboard- ASUS STRIX B-550A GAMING MOTHERBOARD
RAM - 2x8gb corsair vengeance LPX 2400
GPU- MSI GTX 1050TI STRIX
HDD- Seagate barracuda 1tb HDD
PSU- Corsair RM(2019) 80+ gold fully modular ATX 750W

OK TLDR; was not able to use PC for about 8 months and left it home as i went away for uni. came back and turned it on and it was not booting. i had to flick the on/off switch multiple times with a short boot cycle happening sometimes. took it apart to clean it and accidently took cpu off with the cooler as it was stuck on there. bent pins on it.

fast forward to a month ago replaced cpu with exact same one and got boot but with no display + solid yellow led on the mobo for dram boot error. in the last 3 weeks i replaced mobo( different to original,original was F-450 ASUS STRIX mobo), PSU ( different PSU, original was cooler master 650W 80+ fully modular ATX) and just now replaced ram sticks with exact same ones. and now im able to boot it every time normally but with still no display & the yellow led for dram boot error is still solid on it.

What the hell is going on? its practically a new pc. i tested the two older parts (gpu and HDD) by taking them out and booting and exact same situation. i previously when i installed new mobo + cpu reset the cmos battery but thats about it.

Solution
If it’s a DRAM issue then it’s mainly because of Ram compatibility issues or it’s faulty but in your case it’s not faulty but probably is having issues cooperating with your board.

you did do a cmos reset but try doing it again this time with the PSU unplug to ensure that all power is drained from the motherboard, remove the cmos battery and wait for about 10 minutes to be sure then put it back. If that doesn’t work try using your old Ram again with your new board and try to mix things up, use your old Ram with your new Ram for example or try using only one stick of ram.

again if that doesn’t work try getting a different model of Ram that can work with your board and CPU, if you have a friend you can ask to at least borrow a single...

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
If it’s a DRAM issue then it’s mainly because of Ram compatibility issues or it’s faulty but in your case it’s not faulty but probably is having issues cooperating with your board.

you did do a cmos reset but try doing it again this time with the PSU unplug to ensure that all power is drained from the motherboard, remove the cmos battery and wait for about 10 minutes to be sure then put it back. If that doesn’t work try using your old Ram again with your new board and try to mix things up, use your old Ram with your new Ram for example or try using only one stick of ram.

again if that doesn’t work try getting a different model of Ram that can work with your board and CPU, if you have a friend you can ask to at least borrow a single stick of ram to test out your system.

Solution
It could be true, my friends R5 3600 + B550 Gaming wont boot, decided to bios flashback and plug all thhe components again, and it worked. Should be somekind of ram issues or ram support issues. Try to update the bios to the latest using bios flashback button (download the file and extract the file, copy the folder to the flash drive and plug it in the usb slot that have usb flashback mark, it's on the top rear motherboard slot).

Jtull55

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
So bit of a update, idk how but i accidently bumped the HDD while i was letting it run and the LED turned from yellow to green indicating boot error. turned it off pluged in the VGA and got display but only BIOS.

it found no bootable devices so i double checked all connections to HDD and as per a youtube video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SapP-eiQiX8
i changed my boot options to only CMS and no legacy and i got boot with my OS running but now im getting no internet connection even with ethernet plugged in + one of the leds on the front panel (symbol is like a cylinder looking thing) is solid red were usually it would be flickering blue or blue when im loading something like a game or something.

any ideas whats going on?

also as per both of your replies i did check and the RAM im using isnt on my mobo's supported list so i thought that may be the problem but then this update happened lol so im not sure were to go from here.

i changed my boot options to only CMS and no legacy and i got boot with my OS running but now im getting no internet connection even with ethernet plugged in + one of the leds on the front panel (symbol is like a cylinder looking thing) is solid red were usually it would be flickering blue or blue when im loading something like a game or something.
Install the driver.

also as per both of your replies i did check and the RAM im using isnt on my mobo's supported list so i thought that may be the problem but then this update happened lol so im not sure were to go from here.
It should be, but a bios update should be better (it's easy and fast, and amd bioses usually always fix something in the latest agesa).

Jtull55

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Install the driver.

It should be, but a bios update should be better (it's easy and fast, and amd bioses usually always fix something in the latest agesa).

ok i'm a amateur but if i can't get internet connection on pc would i have to go on laptop to asos support find latest driver for network and then use a usb on my pc? where would i put the driver update and how do i do the same thing for a bios update without internet connection to pc?

ok i'm a amateur but if i can't get internet connection on pc would i have to go on laptop to asos support find latest driver for network and then use a usb on my pc? where would i put the driver update and how do i do the same thing for a bios update without internet connection to pc?
do you have another pc/laptop or if your an OTG to transfer file from phone to flashdrive?

Jtull55

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
do you have another pc/laptop or if your an OTG to transfer file from phone to flashdrive?

I do have a laptop and have downloaded them now, no flash drive i'll pick one up tomorrow but i was thinking can i plug my phone in via usb and put files on there then use phone to just export the files onto the pc?

and once their on there do i just open the file and run them?

Jtull55

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
okay thanks! i'll update tomorrow i need to run down the store and grab a flash drive to do a bios flash and in terms of drivers do i need to just download them and run them after i put them on the pc?

Jtull55

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Download, extract the file, copy the .cap file in the folder after extraction into flash drive, and put it in the top rear usb slot.
Hi quick update. i did a BIOS flashback with a usb like you said and it didn't fix the initial problem of having no network connection (internet) so i went ahead and changed it back to boot on legacy only which it did then i installed some drivers from asus website and i restarted and got some internet connection for about 2 minutes then nothing back to square one.

am i missing the right drivers? i just took all the most up to date for my motherboard, should i be doing gpu drivers & cpu drivers?

Hi quick update. i did a BIOS flashback with a usb like you said and it didn't fix the initial problem of having no network connection (internet) so i went ahead and changed it back to boot on legacy only which it did then i installed some drivers from asus website and i restarted and got some internet connection for about 2 minutes then nothing back to square one.

am i missing the right drivers? i just took all the most up to date for my motherboard, should i be doing gpu drivers & cpu drivers?
So you did update the bios using bios flashback, not from the bios?

usually windows these days would just auto install the drivers, if you're using Ethernet then windows should auto recognize the device even without driver. if you wanted to, reinstall the windows with CSM off/disabled. Just make sure the installer is UEFI.