iDefective

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
My Brother has owned a prebuilt PC since December last year but recently we have been encountering a repeating issue that I have been unable to solve.

Every 5-20 minutes the pc will 'crash' and the monitor will lose connection. When turning the monitor off and on again it reconnects, but the pc is on the login screen and it has closed everything likely a crash. However, the fans, cooling, etc never turns off. My brother also reports that right before the crash a static noise comes through his headphones.

We attempted to take it to Micro Center who found no Hardware issue and proceeded to reinstall the operating system and reported 'no errors,' When we brought it home today, however, it has begun crashing again.

Our current hypothesis is that the monitor is causing the issue, for it is the only difference between what we are doing and what Micro Center is doing.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?

EDIT: The PC is the PowerSpec G502 from Microcenter

Last edited:
Solution
Swapping RAM with known good sticks would be a quickie stab that might help...; if problems gone, great....if not, RAM likely not the issue.

(Alternatively, you can overnight test RAM with Memtest86 from a USB flash drive...)

You might also check CPU temps to make sure the CPU is not overheating, just to rule out a BIOS induced reset/lockup, etc...

Putting in another known good PSU (be sure to swap all modular cables if the PSU is changed!) would also be a logical step...

Does the PC in question run from an UPS? Is the home subject to electrical brownouts when AC or furnace motor turns on?
Swapping RAM with known good sticks would be a quickie stab that might help...; if problems gone, great....if not, RAM likely not the issue.

(Alternatively, you can overnight test RAM with Memtest86 from a USB flash drive...)

You might also check CPU temps to make sure the CPU is not overheating, just to rule out a BIOS induced reset/lockup, etc...

Putting in another known good PSU (be sure to swap all modular cables if the PSU is changed!) would also be a logical step...

Does the PC in question run from an UPS? Is the home subject to electrical brownouts when AC or furnace motor turns on?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS