Question Problem CPU, CPB AND PBO

Mar 18, 2022
RYZEN 9 5950x

RTX 3070 TI ROG STRIX

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO

32 GB RAM 3600 MHZ

ROG STRIX 850W GOLD

ROG STRIX LC 360

I have a problem with my Ryzen 9 5950x, when I activate the Core Performance Boost and the Precision Boost Overdrive in the BIOS, when I turn on the PC I go to check the temperatures and they are at +95C, this happens to me with the Core Performance Boost and after a few seconds the temperature stabilizes at 50C-55C on the desktop, but with small spikes of 65-70º for a while because what the option does is raise the voltage everytime like crazy, that's normal from what I know, my problem is with the high temperatures that I have when starting the PC, just today I activated the PBO because I wanted to do some tests in Cinebench and when I activated the PBO and turned on the PC the temperatures were at 95C and 3400 mhz and the fans of the AIO were at a very low speed, I had configured them to be at 100% when the temperature was at 70C, so I don't know what happened there, but I immediately turned off the pc so that it drops below 95C. My questions are why do I have extreme temperatures when starting the PC? Why the AIO fans were at very low speed at 95C? (Before activating the PBO I was seeing something from the fans and I don't know if I accidentalky moved something of the configuration and that caused them to be at a low speed) Can those temperatures damage the CPU? (When the PBO problem happened to me, I turned off the PC immediately so that it doesn't happen, but I don't know if something could have been damaged) Why was the processor at 3400 mhz and almost 100º? To monitor that information I used an application called Core Temp

RYZEN 9 5950x

RTX 3070 TI ROG STRIX

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO

32 GB RAM 3600 MHZ

ROG STRIX 850W GOLD

ROG STRIX LC 360

I have a problem with my Ryzen 9 5950x, when I activate the Core Performance Boost and the Precision Boost Overdrive in the BIOS, when I turn on the PC I go to check the temperatures and they are at +95C, this happens to me with the Core Performance Boost and after a few seconds the temperature stabilizes at 50C-55C on the desktop, but with small spikes of 65-70º for a while because what the option does is raise the voltage everytime like crazy, that's normal from what I know, my problem is with the high temperatures that I have when starting the PC, just today I activated the PBO because I wanted to do some tests in Cinebench and when I activated the PBO and turned on the PC the temperatures were at 95C and 3400 mhz and the fans of the AIO were at a very low speed, I had configured them to be at 100% when the temperature was at 70C, so I don't know what happened there, but I immediately turned off the pc so that it drops below 95C. My questions are why do I have extreme temperatures when starting the PC? Why the AIO fans were at very low speed at 95C? (Before activating the PBO I was seeing something from the fans and I don't know if I accidentalky moved something of the configuration and that caused them to be at a low speed) Can those temperatures damage the CPU? (When the PBO problem happened to me, I turned off the PC immediately so that it doesn't happen, but I don't know if something could have been damaged) Why was the processor at 3400 mhz and almost 100º? To monitor that information I used an application called Core Temp
Which CPU cooler ?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Mar 18, 2022
Must be something wrong with your cooling setup, those CPUs are allowed high temps but not that high. Or maybe voltages are going nuts. It shouldn't even limit boost until 90c. 80c at full blast is not uncommon.
uhm, i got supported about this by a person and he told me that its completely normal, he told me that:
  1. PBO lets the CPU loose as it feels comfortable in regards to temperature and power

2. PBO in Stock is telling the CPU to try to reach 95C with a max of X Watts

Basically he told me that PBO lets the CPU run wild until it reaches 95C

So i dont know who to trust now

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What is throwing me is the detail that even at those temps you aren't hearing fan ramp.

I would closely read the install directions for your cooler and verify that they are on the header you think they are on and therefore the appropriate settings to follow (temp) load.
Turn pump to 100% and set fan curves to performance (or similar in your BIOS) to see if there is improvement. You absolutely should hear the fans ramping up to a good speed while running a benchmark.

Mar 18, 2022
What is throwing me is the detail that even at those temps you aren't hearing fan ramp.

I would closely read the install directions for your cooler and verify that they are on the header you think they are on and therefore the appropriate settings to follow (temp) load.
Turn pump to 100% and set fan curves to performance (or similar in your BIOS) to see if there is improvement. You absolutely should hear the fans ramping up to a good speed while running a benchmark.
When i enable CPB i do hear the fans at max speed when turning on the PC but with PBO doesnt happen the same, like i said some people told me that it is the objective of PBO in stock but idk