Question Problem with Bootloader / Bootmanager

idimitrrov

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2015
Hello to everyone.

First of I would like to apologise for the wall of text I am about to write, however I want to provide as much information as possible, so you can understand the issue I am facing.

Yesterday I got a new M.2 NVME SSD, which I installed in my PC. I wanted to do a clean install on the Windows on my NVME and did so, however during the process I had some issues and that's why probably I <Mod Edit> up the installation.

1. I didn't delete my old Windows and my old SSD volume. I formatted it and cleaned it after the installation of the Windows on the NVME.
  2. While trying to install the Windows on the NVME, there were issues, where I couldn't discover the NVME in my BIOS for some reason, it wasn't displayed and it couldn't be set to be booted from in the boot section of the bios. I found out that for some reason the NVME was only detected in the BIOS when the CSM is enabled, otherwise the BIOS didn't detect the NVME at all. So what I did was -> enable the CSM and then proceed to install the windows on the NVME. I have Secure boot on and CSM disabled normally.
So currently I have my Windows installed on my NVME, it does boot up however it boots up from my old SSD which is SATA, because in the boot section in the BIOS it has a name something like : "Winbootmanager - SATASSD and the name of the ssd".
3. Since I wanted to try and fix the issue, I found a bunch of threads online where people have said that what fixed the issue is using a USB stick with media creation tool in order to use the "Startup Repair Option". I did just that -> removed the SATA drives and again enabled CSM, so that the NVME is discoverable and set Boot1 - USB , Boot2 - NVME. I go to the windows installation screen and press repair pc, however it was unsuccessful and I get met with this error -> "https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/...orking/windows-10-automatic-repair-failed.jpg"
The same happens when I put Boot1 - NVME, Boot2-USB -> I get into the Windows installation screen (however it's different, it's blurry, lower resolution and first it displays the windows 11 logo) -> startup repair -> unsuccessful -> error (same error as the upper link).
  1. So after this being unsuccessful I thought to myself that I can try to use the EasyBCD in order to resolve the issue. -> I open the EasyBCD and select -> BCD Backup/Repair -> Change Boot Drive -> Perform Action -> C:/ -> " View: https://i.imgur.com/ffpqIhI.png
    ", but then I am met with this error -> " View: https://i.imgur.com/pbYO35v.png
    ".
  2. The only other thing that I was able to find is this thread - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t...rformance/windows-boot-issues-troubleshooting. And I am hoping that method 4 could fix the issue or this thread in the past and the answer by Skynet -> "https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/changing-windows-boot-manager-drive.3571420/", however I am not sure what to do and I am afraid to not <Mod Edit> something up.
For information my disk manager looks like this - View: https://i.imgur.com/GOWGhro.png
and this was the information from my EasyBCD -> View: https://i.imgur.com/n8CF2pq.png
. I clicked on reset BCD configuration and created new entries which look like this currently -> View: https://i.imgur.com/B4QSWQ1.png

The only other information I believe would be useful is that my motherboard is B450-F and that I have installed the NVME SSD on the 1st slot -> View: https://i.imgur.com/9PWduUP.png

If there is any other information that would be useful I would be happy to share it.

Thank you everyone in advance and I hope you can help me out. Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
You just did a new install on the new drive?
And it is messed up?

Then just do it again on the new NVMe, properly.

This time, with only the new NVMe connected.

idimitrrov

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2015
You just did a new install on the new drive?
And it is messed up?

Then just do it again on the new NVMe, properly.

This time, with only the new NVMe connected.

Yeah, basically that's my last thing I will maybe do, but I already spent a lot of time setting up the Windows and I already used a code for the Windows to be activated, I am not sure if I can reuse the code. If possible I would like to fix this without reinstalling, but as a last resort of course I will have to do that.

If I do decide to do that, do I need to first format and delete all the volumes of the old SSD, so that the EFI partitions and the recovery partitions are deleted, then remove the SATA SSD and install on the NVME, while CSM is enabled, so that the NVME is showing up in the boot section? Also the main problem I am seeing is that the NVME SSD doesn't show up on the boot section when CSM is disabled, so when everything is done, and then i disable CSM, will the NVME be bootable if it's not discoverable in the BIOS?

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, though, it will be the last thing I will attempt.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, though, it will be the last thing I will attempt.
Well, there are steps to create the bootloader on your new SSD.
But given the current state and the problems so far...a full fresh install is likely to best route..

For the new install, you don't have to do anything with the other drives, except physically disconnect them prior to the new install.
Later, you can reconnect and then fix/delete whatever problems exist on the other drive.

I got a new M.2 NVME SSD, which I installed in my PC. I wanted to do a clean install on the Windows on my NVME and did so, however during the process I had some issues
Your error was, you didn't disconnect other drives while installing windows on NVME drive.
Doing it this way, new drive doesn't get made bootable.
Bootloader doesn't get created on it, because there's already existing bootloader on one of other drives.

You have to create bootloader on NVME drive manually.

idimitrrov

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2015
Your error was, you didn't disconnect other drives while installing windows on NVME drive.
Doing it this way, new drive doesn't get made bootable.
Bootloader doesn't get created on it, because there's already existing bootloader on one of other drives.

You have to create bootloader on NVME drive manually.
Yes, for sure that was my error, I had no idea that could make my life so complicated. How can I create the bootloader on the new NVME?

Also for the "For the new install, you don't have to do anything with the other drives, except physically disconnect them prior to the new install. " -> is disabling the SATA configuration in the BIOS going to be enough? Or i need to physically unplug the sata cables?

How can I create the bootloader on the new NVME?
Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately and
show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
(select 1TB NVME drive)​
list partition
select partition x
(select 931.5GB partition, x=1 or x=2)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi size=500
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:

Last message should be Boot files created successfully.

Shutdown, disconnect old drives and
change boot priorities in BIOS to boot from Windows Boot Manager on NVME drive.

Should be able to boot into windows.
After that you can reconnect old drives and delete old bootloader (549MB EFI system partition on 250GB drive)

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

idimitrrov

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2015
Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately and
show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 2
(select 1TB NVME drive)​
list partition
select partition x
(select 931.5GB partition, x=1 or x=2)​
shrink desired=500
create partition efi size=500
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:

Last message should be Boot files created successfully.

Shutdown, disconnect old drives and
change boot priorities in BIOS to boot from Windows Boot Manager on NVME drive.

Should be able to boot into windows.
After that you can reconnect old drives and delete old bootloader (549MB EFI system partition on 250GB drive)

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm
Alright I will try to do that and follow the commands.

Do I copy all the commands as you have written them (as in, have you wrote the commands so that it applies to my specific case? Or I need to be careful and choose depending on the case, also what is x=1 and x=2?)

And for the Shutdown, disconnect old drives (does it work if I do -> shutdown -> bios -> disable sata configuration) or I need to physically remove them as in unplug from the motherboard?)

And lastly "after reconnecting the old drives" how do I delete the efi system partition and recovery, via disk manager or?

Thanks a lot, really!

I will make sure to do the following sequence of commands

Do I copy all the commands as you have written them (as in, have you wrote the commands so that it applies to my specific case? Or I need to be careful and choose depending on the case
No. Commands are in bold.
Normal lines are comments. You do not execute those.
Obviously - be careful.
also what is x=1 and x=2?)
For command select partition x
you have to substitute x to value either 1 or 2
(depending on output of previous command list partition)
list partition - gives list of partitions and their associated numbers.
You find number corresponding to 931.5GB partition and that is your x value.
And for the Shutdown, disconnect old drives (does it work if I do -> shutdown -> bios -> disable sata configuration) or I need to physically remove them as in unplug from the motherboard?)
Physically disconnect.
And lastly "after reconnecting the old drives" how do I delete the efi system partition and recovery, via disk manager or?
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 223GB disk)​
list partition
select partition 3
(select 617MB partition)​
delete partition override
select partition 1
(select 549MB partition)​

idimitrrov

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2015
No. Commands are in bold.
Normal lines are comments. You do not execute those.
Obviously - be careful.

For command select partition x
you have to substitute x to value either 1 or 2
(depending on output of previous command list partition)
list partition - gives list of partitions and their associated numbers.
You find number corresponding to 931.5GB partition and that is your x value.

Physically disconnect.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
(select 223GB disk)​
list partition
select partition 3
(select 617MB partition)​
select partition 1
(select 549MB partition)​

Thank you so, so, so, so much! I was able to fix it. I did what you said with the commands. However then I saw that due to my <Mod Edit> earlier because of the EasyBCD (my windows boot was <Mod Edit> ) because I was on Windows 11. I deleted the boot entries from my Windows 11 and they were replaced by a Windows 7/8/10 boot entry. This caused another set of issues like not being able to run a emulator like Bluestacks, so I decided to just say <Mod Edit> it and do a fresh clean install, but this time do it properly. It worked from the first try and I was able to fix the issue.

After it was installed like you said, i connected the sata drives and then I deleted the partitions with the command prompt with delete partition override. Afterwards I just created a new volume and it was all fixed.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You can mark it as solved now.

I hope you have a great day / night. Thanks a lot again!

However because of the EasyBCD (my windows boot was <Mod Edit> ) because I was on Windows 11. I deleted the boot entries from my Windows 11 and they were replaced by a Windows 7/8/10 boot entry. This caused another set of issues like not being able to run a emulator like Bluestacks, so I decided to just say <Mod Edit> it and do a fresh clean install, but this time do it properly. It worked from the first try and I was able to fix the issue.

After it was installed like you said, i connected the sata drives and then I deleted the partitions with the command prompt with delete partition override. Afterwards I just created a new volume and it was all fixed.
Reinstall was not necessary.
EasyBCD changed entries in old bootloader (on 223GB disk). You deleted it afterwards.