Question Problem with HDMI connection

Susanoo

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
I recently bought Philips 43pus6262/12 4k smart tv, and i'm using it as a second monitor. The tv is connected to my Geforce GTX 1080 founders edition via HDMI. My monitor resolution is 1920x1080, and tv is on 4k. The problem occurs when i try to play movies from my pc. It looks like i'm losing frames every few seconds. I bought HDMI 2.0 cable with gold connectors and the frame loss dropped but it's still there. I reduced tv's refresh rate on nvidia control panel from 60hz to 30, and the problem is solved.

My question is why is this happening, and is there a way i can return to 60hz?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If it's real/good HDMI 2.0 cable it should be able to handle 60Hz at 3840 × 2160 with no problem.

I guess there are more than one HDMI port on the TV. Have you checked the documentation or tried other ports?

Sometimes different ports on TVs support different refresh rates.

Susanoo

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
If it's real/good HDMI 2.0 cable it should be able to handle 60Hz at 3840 × 2160 with no problem.

I guess there are more than one HDMI port on the TV. Have you checked the documentation or tried other ports?

Sometimes different ports on TVs support different refresh rates.
There are 3 HDMI ports on tv and 2 on graphic card. I've tried both on gpu and 2 middle HDMI ports on tv. I didn't try the side HDMI. So you think the problem is either the cable or the port?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
There are 3 HDMI ports on tv and 2 on graphic card. I've tried both on gpu and 2 middle HDMI ports on tv. I didn't try the side HDMI. So you think the problem is either the cable or the port?

I guess we can not really call it a 'problem' if the TV manufacturer has designed/set any of the HDMI ports to work at 30Hz at that resolution.

If this is in fact the sepc sheet for your TV notice that under 'Supported Display Resolution ' it says HDMI1 port works 4K 3840x 2160 at 30Hz for both Computer and Viedo inputs. HDMI2/3 works 4K 3840x 2160 at 60Hz for both Computer and Viedo inputs.

According to this you should actually use HDMI ports 2 or 3 on TV for 60Hz. What is the resolution and refresh rate set in the nvidia control panel?

Is the monitor connected to the graphics card at the same time using HDMI? Sometimes there are complications and conflicts like this when multi displays with different resolutions and refresh rates are connected to the same graphics card. Unplug the monitor from the GTX 1080 and see it TV gets 3840x 2160 at 60Hz without the monitor on either VGA HDMI ports.

Do you have the latest nvidia graphics driver installed?

Susanoo

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
I guess we can not really call it a 'problem' if the TV manufacturer has designed/set any of the HDMI ports to work at 30Hz at that resolution.

If this is in fact the sepc sheet for your TV notice that under 'Supported Display Resolution ' it says HDMI1 port works 4K 3840x 2160 at 30Hz for both Computer and Viedo inputs. HDMI2/3 works 4K 3840x 2160 at 60Hz for both Computer and Viedo inputs.

According to this you should actually use HDMI ports 2 or 3 on TV for 60Hz. What is the resolution and refresh rate set in the nvidia control panel?

Is the monitor connected to the graphics card at the same time using HDMI? Sometimes there are complications and conflicts like this when multi displays with different resolutions and refresh rates are connected to the same graphics card. Unplug the monitor from the GTX 1080 and see it TV gets 3840x 2160 at 60Hz without the monitor on either VGA HDMI ports.

Do you have the latest nvidia graphics driver installed?
I have a 144hz monitor connected to the graphic card via DVI-D cable. I'm using HDMI 3 port on my TV. Yes i have latest drivers installed, and i'm changing TVs refresh rate on nvidia control panel. Like i said od 60hz movies are lagging for a bit every few seconds, and on 30hz it's working just fine.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a 144hz monitor connected to the graphic card via DVI-D cable. I'm using HDMI 3 port on my TV. Yes i have latest drivers installed, and i'm changing TVs refresh rate on nvidia control panel. Like i said od 60hz movies are lagging for a bit every few seconds, and on 30hz it's working just fine.

In that case try with a different (maybe better) HDMI cable or a DisplayPort cable if the TV has one.

Maybe a lag every few seconds means the cable can't quite manage on 60Hz. How long is the HDMI 2.0 cable and is it from a known/reputable manufacturer/vendor? Not sure about GTX 1080's HDMI output standard but maybe try a HDMI 2.1 cable?

Also disabling any overscan, setting the input to PC or GAME mode (if present), disabling any dynamic picture settings might help.

To disable overscan, look for a "wide" or "aspect ratio" setting that allows you to see the full screen (easiest way is to check if you can see full PC desktop). Also lower 'sharpness'. In some TVs it does 'edge enhancement' which doesn't help when using computer content (e.g. it can make fine text hard to read). As I said if the TV has a PC of GAME mode enabling it might help.

Another point is that maybe the computer is doing something in the background that causes the lag. You said you have leg in movies, are you streaming the movies online?

All said keep in mind that TVs are not quite like monitors and they tend to have higher response time and input lag and are not really made to work with computers.