Question Problem with Seagate expansion 5TB external HDD.

lukkern

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
So i got a new external HDD in my mail yesterday. Ever since i first plugged it into my computer it's been giving me problems... It's 50/50 if it pops up or not, it loses connection with my computer after a short while every time it actually shows up, trying to use a different cable doesn't work, trying a different usb input doesn't work, it usually pops up in device manager, but i can't populate it in volumes and ther is no information in volumes either. Whenever i've actually been able to transfer files over to the HDD it loses connection after a short while and nearly crashes my computer because of it. I feel like i've tried EVERYTHING, at least most guides that are out there for what i can do. I'm close to giving up and throwing it out the window. Anyone know what's up with it? could it be as simple as me receiving a broken hdd in my mail? It's brand new which would be very weird. I've also formatted it and made sure it is NTFS.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
could it be as simple as me receiving a broken hdd in my mail? It's brand new which would be very weird.

Getting DOA or failing drive as new one, isn't weird. Since for that, we have warranty. Now, if all drives would have 100% reliability, then there wouldn't be any need for a warranty and then, yes, getting DOA/failing drive is weird.

I feel like i've tried EVERYTHING

Did you try this:
  • taking HDD out of the external enclosure
  • plugging it in to your system with SATA power and data cables (assuming you have desktop PC)
I've also formatted it and made sure it is NTFS.

Why NTFS and not exFAT?

exFAT is typically chosen as the format for external hard drives as it can be recognized across multiple operating systems without issue.
NTFS is often chosen when installing a new internal hard drive, especially on a Windows system.

Source + further reading between the two: https://history-computer.com/exfat-vs-ntfs/

File encryption is possible on exFAT formatted drives, but it must be performed manually.
From other sources on web, it doesn't seems like exFAT itself support encryption, so when I do a web search, it points to extra software to perform encryption such as Veracrypt. If I get this correct, that is the same as to say exFAT does NOT support encryption.

I may be wrong on this, but the choose of wording in this article "can be encrypted manually" sounds for me just like actual support, just perform an extra step to make it done. You think this is a valid argument og did I mis-read the meaning ?

Ah, It also say
exFAT is missing security features from NTFS like file encryption and user permissions.
Apparently I mis-read.

NTFS can be used on external hdd just fine, but it may be a mess with user privileges when moving files forth and back between computers. However, it is possible to take ownership of all files and then give "everybody" full access to all files and also make sure inheritance is put accordingly. I know I've fixed it that way in the past.

So i got a new external HDD in my mail yesterday. Ever since i first plugged it into my computer it's been giving me problems... It's 50/50 if it pops up or not, it loses connection with my computer after a short while every time it actually shows up, trying to use a different cable doesn't work, trying a different usb input doesn't work, it usually pops up in device manager, but i can't populate it in volumes and ther is no information in volumes either. Whenever i've actually been able to transfer files over to the HDD it loses connection after a short while and nearly crashes my computer because of it. I feel like i've tried EVERYTHING, at least most guides that are out there for what i can do. I'm close to giving up and throwing it out the window. Anyone know what's up with it? could it be as simple as me receiving a broken hdd in my mail? It's brand new which would be very weird. I've also formatted it and made sure it is NTFS.
Contact the merchant.
Start a rma.

I would not remove the hdd from it's case for testing as it might void the warranty.