Problem with Sound from my TV as a 2nd monitor

qmdunn

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but here goes. I have a HD 6870 card and have my normal monitor hooked up and then an HDMI cable running to my TV. Basically what I like doing is streaming Netflix off to my TV (or DvD's etc). When I extend my desktop to include the TV, the video is fine, but I have no sound. When I go to sound playback options the TV shows as "not plugged in" and sound obviously doesn't work. However after a reboot, all is fine and sound works. It's a pain having to reboot every time before I can stream off to my TV. Any ideas?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I am not sure what audio software / hardware you are using but I had to switch it manually from speakers / headphones to HDMI in Realtek HD Audio manager and it then worked fine for me. Are you using the TV 24/7 or just expanding desktop when you want to watch something?

qmdunn

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I don't have the TV on 24/7. I just turn it on when I want to watch movies off the computer. I did it on my last computer and it never did this, but when I upgraded and got a new Ivy Bridge I have to reboot every time to get sound.