[SOLVED] Problems mixing diffrent resolutions

Sep 3, 2022
So i have had this 34" Ultrawide monitor (3440 x 1440 for a while now and it works great!
I however decided to upgrade my setup and get a secondary monitor. This time a 27" 4K monitor (because i do a bit of coding on the side).

Prior to buying the new monitor i watched a video with a guy explaining how to 'upscale' the lower resolution monitor (up to 4K) in Nvidia Control Panel so that both monitors essentially would have the same resolution and avoid that weird transition going from one to another. I calculated this to approximately be 5120 x 2160 for the ultrawide.

But when i changed the settings it told me my "monitor does not support the custom resolution". Later i found out it was because it would not allow me to run it at its native 144hz and changing it down to 100hz did the trick.
But i do not want to be stuck with 100hz since i bought the ultrawide partly because of the higher refresh rate for games...

So here's my question: Is it possible to 'upscale' the resolution while still maintaining the 144hz? The monitor should be capable of it, no?
Maybe someone can recommend a program which can do it?

Hope you geniuses can help me. Thx.

Edit: I have also noticed the quality is not as good on my ultrawide anymore. Text is definitely more unclear..

Last edited:
Solution
Enable DSR in NVIDIA control panel. This will enable higher desktop resolutions. Since the GPU is going to downscale it to the native resolution of the monitor, it allows you to keep the higher refresh rate as well. You'll also have to bump up the UI scaling on the other monitor, but on the flip side it won't look as blurry as the monitor trying to scale the image.
So i have had this 34" Ultrawide monitor (3440 x 1440 for a while now and it works great!
I however decided to upgrade my setup and get a secondary monitor. This time a 27" 4K monitor (because i do a bit of coding on the side).

Prior to buying the new monitor i watched a video with a guy explaining how to 'upscale' the lower resolution monitor (up to 4K) in Nvidia Control Panel so that both monitors essentially would have the same resolution and avoid that weird transition going from one to another. I calculated this to approximately be 5120 x 2160 for the ultrawide.

But when i changed the settings it told me my "monitor does not support the custom resolution". Later i found out it was because it would not allow me to run it at its native 144hz and changing it down to 100hz did the trick.
But i do not want to be stuck with 100hz since i bought the ultrawide partly because of the higher refresh rate for games...

So here's my question: Is it possible to 'upscale' the resolution while still maintaining the 144hz? The monitor should be capable of it, no?
Maybe someone can recommend a program which can do it?

Hope you geniuses can help me. Thx.

Edit: I have also noticed the quality is not as good on my ultrawide anymore. Text is definitely more unclear..
As you upscale the resolution of your ultra wide the refresh rates it can maintain will drop due to it trying to render a higher rate it's dedicated for. The blurry lettering is common as again the monitor isn't rated for the resolution your setting it to sounds like your close to the proper sizing to get the two monitors to look nice together but not quite were you need it I would drop 5100x2140-2120

Enable DSR in NVIDIA control panel. This will enable higher desktop resolutions. Since the GPU is going to downscale it to the native resolution of the monitor, it allows you to keep the higher refresh rate as well. You'll also have to bump up the UI scaling on the other monitor, but on the flip side it won't look as blurry as the monitor trying to scale the image.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution
Sep 3, 2022
As you upscale the resolution of your ultra wide the refresh rates it can maintain will drop due to it trying to render a higher rate it's dedicated for. The blurry lettering is common as again the monitor isn't rated for the resolution your setting it to sounds like your close to the proper sizing to get the two monitors to look nice together but not quite were you need it I would drop 5100x2140-2120

Yes. Thank you. Your math was better.

Sep 3, 2022

Thank you hotaru. With DSR enabled i was indeed able to both upscale the resolution while still retaining the refresh rate. However with the same UI-scale it still looks more blurry than without.
I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that it is not possible to both upscale and retain clarity.

I guess what i am really trying to find is a solution for the transition between the monitors. When the mouse goes from one screen to another and it does not match. Same with dragging windows..
Hopefully there is a program which makes this possible.

But thank you again. Your sugestion solved my question.