Problems upgrading power supply for Dell Inspiron 580

merlin123

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hello All,

I bought a Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply which fits perfectly in the 580 case to replace the stock 300w PSU.

I installed it and powered it on using the back switch. The yellow light came on on the MB. When I pressed the bower button located on the front, the case fan powers on for about 2 seconds but nothing else turns on. All connections to MB, 24-pin and 4-pin are tight as well as connection to HD and DVD drive.

I reinstalled the stock 300W Dell unit and it works fine.

Before I send it back in need some information determine my future course of action.

Could this be a result of a bad power supply?

I have heard in the past that Dell was using proprietary wiring for their boards/PSUs and I don't know if this practice is still continuing. Anyone have any input?

If anyone has successfully replaced a PSU in the Inspiron 580 could you share the make and model of the replacement PSU.

Thanks so much in advance.

merlin123

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I tried the 500W again with the same results.

Without putting the 500W in another computer, how can I verify that all connectors are working properly?

How can I tell if Dell uses proprietary wiring? Can I compare the placement of the wires, by color, on the connectors, between the 500W and the stock 300W?

Thanks in advance for your help.