jasondwoods2

Commendable
Apr 12, 2018
Specs:
CPU: Intel core i3-8350k 4GHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-Plus Gaming
BIOS: American Megatrends 0610, 1/11/2018
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: 4x4GB Crucial DDR4-2400 UDIMM (Model: CT4G4DFS824A)
New OS hard drive (SSHD): Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H28SY38/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New Second drive (HDD): Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H28SY39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old drives (HDD): two WD Blue 2TB drives
Drive cloning software used: EaseUS Todo(trial version)

Hello all,

I recently decided to upgrade the RAM and storage of my PC. The RAM upgrade went fine (I had two sticks of RAM, just bought two more of the same type). For upgrading the storage, I went from using two WD Blue 2TB hard drives, to using a 2TB Seagate FireCuda for my OS and a 6TB Seagate BarraCuda for my games. I decided to go with the cloning method to transfer everything from my original OS drive(drive C) to the new SSHD(set to drive B when I formatted it using a dock). Basically, I formatted and hooked up the new secondary drive(6TB HDD) first so that I could get a start on reinstalling my games while I did some school work.

I replaced my old secondary drive with the new 6TB one, exact same SATA cords and ports used. Everything worked fine, and the new HDD had no problems at all. Then, once I was able to, I cloned my original C drive to my new SSHD, and then replaced that drive with my SSHD using the exact same SATA cord and plug. Windows boots fine, and my files and settings were all maintained through the cloning; the only oddity being that my SSHD is listed as Drive C in all places, instead of drive B like I set when I formatted it before the cloning.

Anyways, everything seemed to be fine and both drives showed up just fine, until went to play a game, which is installed on the new secondary drive. The game would begin to load, but then would state an error about the game files not being present; the game launcher would also repeatedly detect the game as not being installed, asking me to install the game before being able to play. Before replacing my OS drive with the SSHD, the games on this new HDD ran perfectly fine.

I checked, and essentially the HDD keeps disconnecting/disappearing for a couple seconds at a time. It'll be present under This PC and Disk Management, but then disappear for a few seconds, going back and forth constantly. The odd part is that this was not a problem when I was running that new hard drive with my old OS drive, and it was never a problem with any of my old drives before the upgrade. It only started once I put in the SSHD to replace my OS hard drive. So I know the new HDD works fine, and the cables/ports work fine. It just seems to not work when combined with booting from my OS clone on the SSHD.

Other pieces of info that might be useful:

I originally could not access the folders/files on the second drive after booting from the new SSHD, as it gave an error about not being able to access them; it also was listed as uninitialized in Disk Management. I had to go and give myself admin privileges and full access to the drive in order to correct that problem, but the constant disconnects still occur.

In the Disk Defragger menu, the secondary HDD wasn't listed at first, and my SSHD is listed as a regular hard drive disk(not sure if that's normal, but figured it's at least relevant). I used the error checking tool that is found through the Disk Management window, which found some errors to fix. After letting it fix the HDD, it appears in the defragger menu, but still has the disconnecting issues.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You may get rid of all those problems if you reinstall windows. This is not what you want to hear but is probably true.

The game problem may be a side effect caused by the hdd dropout problem. Or it may be some cheat-defense that kick in when something changes too much. You won't know unless you reinstall the game or if you manage to investigate that yourself (mail to game support, or if they have their own user forum).

For the hdd drop-out problem, I think this is a window related issue. You may want to try to boot up a Linux iso image, just to see if there is a problem with hdd drop-out when accessed by Linux.
You may get rid of all those problems if you reinstall windows. This is not what you want to hear but is probably true.

The game problem may be a side effect caused by the hdd dropout problem. Or it may be some cheat-defense that kick in when something changes too much. You won't know unless you reinstall the game or if you manage to investigate that yourself (mail to game support, or if they have their own user forum).

For the hdd drop-out problem, I think this is a window related issue. You may want to try to boot up a Linux iso image, just to see if there is a problem with hdd drop-out when accessed by Linux.

Solution