Program Menu Very Slow to Load Up

When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program selection,
it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I checked
the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per instructions
from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
about it?
Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.

It could be your antivirus software. I used all the Symantec removal
programs for totally getting rid of Norton Internet Security and that worked
for me. Programs load really fast now. I did get another Antivirus Program
and lost a little speed but nothing like Norton's loss.
--
pfos

"kmh2078" wrote:

> When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program selection,
> it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I checked
> the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per instructions
> from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
> about it?
> Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.

Also look at disk fragmentation and free disk space.

"kmh2078" <kmh2078@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on my Start menu and move the cursor to the Program
> selection,
> it takes 1-2 minutes for the Program Menu to appear on my desktop. I
> checked
> the registry for the timing, and it is already set at 400 as per
> instructions
> from another thread. What could be causing this delay and what can I do
> about it?
> Thanks in advance for the valuable service you provide.

Thank you both for responding. I've already done defrag, etc. (although it
takes forever to get to them since I have to wait for the program menu to
show up to be able to get to the System options). I may not have been clear
- it's not the programs themselves that take long to load, it's the menu
itself that lists all the programs for me to choose from. This has been a
problem for a number of months; my "work-around" is to put the icons for
those programs I use frequently directly onto my desktop, but it's
particularly annoying when I want to access a program that I can only get to
through the Program menu on my Start menu (or access it through My Computer/C
Drive/Programs/etc - you get the picture).
Any other suggestions? Thanks again!