[SOLVED] Proper Windows 10 Migration to new system

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Hello! I'm updating my system and want to be sure I get this installation correct. I'd like the new system to run off of an NVMe drive. Old one has a sata SSD. What is the best way to install Windows on the new computer/NVMe and keep my files/apps from the old one? I looked on the Microsoft help websites and it wasn't too clear.

I'm assuming I can't just copy my system drive on to my NVMe, throw it in my new mobo, and have it magically boot. Maybe I have to have my USB thumb drive with windows installer, install it on to the drive first, then Windows will have an option somewhere to reinstall the files from a hard drive copy? Or can I install windows to a blank NVMe drive from a full backup, without the USB thumb drive?

Solution
Your NEW system really needs a clean install. Which means a reinstall of all your programs/applications.

Personal files, you can keep. Save those to some other drive.

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Your NEW system really needs a clean install. Which means a reinstall of all your programs/applications.

Personal files, you can keep. Save those to some other drive.

Oh bother...yeah okay. I'll do it the right way the first time. I was hoping for a super short cut! So many applications and settings in applications from adobe I have to reinstall. Not complicated, just time consuming. Okay thanks!