Pros and cons of a cheap computer case.

jope

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I am building my first computer and want to stay cheap. I know I shouldn't go cheap on some parts such as the psu, but I was wondering about a case. Is it worth buying a $25 case? Please help.

Solution
Pros: Cheap as dirt. Annnnddd that's it ;)

Cons: Cheap build quality (you get what you pay for), misaligned screw holes, pointed edges that more expensive cases don't have, poor looks (have you ever seen a bada** case for $25? Me neither :p), harder to install drives, and especially cheap fans. Terrible airflow. I have bought a case that came with only one exhast fan... that was DOA!

If I were you, dip a bit more moolah into a case. The upgradability will save you time, money, plus you won't regret it.

My best guess would be dipping at least $60 into a computer case. Seeing as you may only want to dip very little, I would like to give you some advice: research! A $25 dollar case would last you maybe a couple of years IF AT THAT...

weezys_advocate

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
well you will want to consider airflow. as long as your cheap case has a good number of fans you will be fine. Obviously more expensive cases are made better and better materials, may have better cable management and other features. But if its just going under you're desk never to be seen a cheap case with a few fans should be fine. espeacily if budget is tight

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
poor build quality, sub-grade material, screw holes don't line up properly, no noise dampening, poor ventilation, sharp edges, etc.

but aside from getting dented easily, paint scratching off easily, drives that don't fit properly, loudness, high temps, and drawing blood while building, i've no problems with cheap cases!

daChRISGUY

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Pros: Cheap as dirt. Annnnddd that's it ;)

Cons: Cheap build quality (you get what you pay for), misaligned screw holes, pointed edges that more expensive cases don't have, poor looks (have you ever seen a bada** case for $25? Me neither :p), harder to install drives, and especially cheap fans. Terrible airflow. I have bought a case that came with only one exhast fan... that was DOA!

If I were you, dip a bit more moolah into a case. The upgradability will save you time, money, plus you won't regret it.

My best guess would be dipping at least $60 into a computer case. Seeing as you may only want to dip very little, I would like to give you some advice: research! A $25 dollar case would last you maybe a couple of years IF AT THAT. You'll save more money dipping into a $60 case that would last you maybe 5-6 years instead of dipping $25 into a bottom line case with little features.

I would recommend this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
For 60 bucks you get a toolless design with more upgradablility than cheaper cases on the market, plus a sleek look. Thousands of neweggers have reviewed this case. Out of around 2,500 reviews, almost 75% are 5 eggs.

Please take a second thought on how much you spend on a case.

-Chris

Solution

TRENDING THREADS