Question PS2 keyboard into USB slot via adapter, lights flash then nothing

Sep 20, 2019
Hi all, Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I hope it's the closest one.

I have a PS2 keyboard that I really like but am struggling to get to work with my Win7 64-bit HP Elitebook 8570w. I have an adapter to connect the PS2 end from the keyboard into a USB port on the laptop. The blue lights flash (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock) which I think must mean that a connection is being made. But then, nothing. The keys don't type, the Caps Lock etc don't switch the lights on and off. Am I missing a driver or something? The PS2 keyboard I am trying to connect is a Fujitsu KB410G (nothing fancy, just really fits well)

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2019
Hi @kerberos_20, thanks for your reply.

When I scanned for hardware changes it tried to install the driver for the first of two Other devices (Sm Bus Controller and Unknown Device) and failed. Neither of these appear/disappear from the list when I plug/unplug the PS2 keyboard.

When I tried adding the keyboard with the old Add Hardware wizard there was no option for Fujitsu in the list of manufacturers and the HP drivers were all for printers. Aside from that, I don't really know where to start in that very long list of possibilities. Can you give me any pointers for which manufacturer list to use?

In Device Manager, I already have in the Keyboards section: HID Keyboard Device and Standard PS/2 Keyboard (both Microsoft).

Sep 20, 2019
Hi Phillip, I've tried loads but none are as comfortable or fast to use. Any ideas on how to get Win7 Pro X64 HP laptop to work with a PS2 keyboard that's getting power from USB port and adapter but not accepting inputs?