[SOLVED] PS4 slim turns off by itself after roughly 10 minutes

Mar 28, 2021
Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place to post this..

I've had my PS4 slim for a few years now and I've never had any issues with it. Yesterday my PS4 randomly turned itself off after loading a game and playing for a couple of minutes. I instantly tried turning it back on but unfortunately it wouldn't turn on.

I decided today to try again. It yet again turns on fine, loads up a game, plays a few minutes of it and the PS4 turns itself off again. If I unplug it from the power outlet, and plug it back in, it will turn on, however it still only stays on for about 10 minutes before turning itself off.

After searching for fixes online, I followed the advice of loading in safe mode, rebuilding the database, completing a full reinitialization and blowing air through the fans etc. All the next steps that were coming up was to take the PS4 apart and inspect components/do a proper clean out of the inside. I'm not very tech/mechanically savvy so although I know I probably will have to try those steps, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any ideas to try and fix it before I have to tackle taking it apart?

I'd also like to point out that I have tried it on different TV's and in different power outlets but I still have the same outcome.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah if it stays on when not doing anything but closes down on gaming it's most probably overheating and has to be taken apart, cleaned and new thermal paste applied. In very rare occasions it might be something more serious.
Try to find a good technician to do it if you can, opening it up yourself will most probably at least leave noticeable marks and in the worst case you could ruin it.
Yeah if it stays on when not doing anything but closes down on gaming it's most probably overheating and has to be taken apart, cleaned and new thermal paste applied. In very rare occasions it might be something more serious.
Try to find a good technician to do it if you can, opening it up yourself will most probably at least leave noticeable marks and in the worst case you could ruin it.

Solution
Mar 28, 2021

Ok I wasn't sure if it was that or maybe the hard drive needed replacing? Thank you for your help though