[SOLVED] PSU and UPS dead? PC made BRRRT sound.

Deffodann

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
I was just chilling in my room, and suddenly my entire setup goes dark after a POP sound. The UPS beeps, and shows a red “fault” light. I remove it and put my setup into a regular power strip until I find a replacement. Just a mini fix for the night. Then, I plug my PC into the power strip, in a different outlet, and it unleashed a BRRRRRT sound. I quickly unplugged it, and it smells like something burnt. Not gonna try to fix this until tomorrow for the sake of everyone sleeping, but where the heck do I even begin to assess the damage or fix it? And how can I figure out what went wrong?

The PSU is a EVGA 850BQ
The UPS was a Cyberpower 850 VA AVR, and I’ve never had problems with this… ever.

At the time of the incident, my PC was running hot while playing War Thunder. I want to believe that’s what did something, but I’ve never had my PC let out a BRRT at me like an A-10 Warthog.

Solution
I was just chilling in my room, and suddenly my entire setup goes dark after a POP sound. The UPS beeps, and shows a red “fault” light. I remove it and put my setup into a regular power strip until I find a replacement. Just a mini fix for the night. Then, I plug my PC into the power strip, in a different outlet, and it unleashed a BRRRRRT sound. I quickly unplugged it, and it smells like something burnt. Not gonna try to fix this until tomorrow for the sake of everyone sleeping, but where the heck do I even begin to assess the damage or fix it? And how can I figure out what went wrong?

The PSU is a EVGA 850BQ
The UPS was a Cyberpower 850 VA AVR, and I’ve never had problems with this… ever.

At the time of the incident, my PC was...

The PSU is a EVGA 850BQ

At the time of the incident, my PC was running hot while playing War Thunder. I want to believe that’s what did something, but I’ve never had my PC let out a BRRT at me like an A-10 Warthog.
Sounds like the UPS crapped the bed taking the PSU out with it.

That UPS is only 515watts. Not sure of your PC specs but it was more than likely underpowered and not up to the job.

Solution