[SOLVED] PSU burned my CPUs?

Dec 16, 2021
i got a EVGA 1200W power supply, to witch I tried to connect a fan controller box, that uses Molex.

i bought a Molex (2) to 6pin adapter and pluged it into the PERIF1 slot of the PSU.
D_NQ_NP_742501-MLC45096772974_032021-O.webp

At this time i did not notice that the Molex from the fan controller has 4 cables, and the adapter has only 4 cables going into the Molex plug.

Turning on the PC, the light got on and the CPU fan spun for 1 sec and stopped, but the controllerbox for the rest of the fans would not light up.
i took the molex adapter out again from the sysytem and tried to boot it up but now i dont get any video or post from the pc.

The lights on the motherboard turn on and the CPU fan keeps spinning, but i dont get any beeps or error messages.

Could it be that the PSU got fried and, even tho its lightihng up the motherboard, it has no power to run the CPU, or is it more probable that the CPU died?

i dont have any spare Motherboards or CPU to test them in other systems.

i have another system with AMD in witch i tested the PSU and now that computer wont boot either... did i burn my 2 CPUs?

THX!

Solution
you bought wrong cable, this cable is used for powering GPU where you use two molex connectors from PSU to get one PCI-E connector for GPU
wiring is totally different wiring then perif 1 to molex... id be surprised if PSU didnt burned alongside with rest of PC
you bought wrong cable, this cable is used for powering GPU where you use two molex connectors from PSU to get one PCI-E connector for GPU
wiring is totally different wiring then perif 1 to molex... id be surprised if PSU didnt burned alongside with rest of PC

Reactions: Aeacus
Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
cables come with the PSU that use sata and molex tu PIC E 6pin

That cable might have came with the PSU, but where it is said that you can use it in a way as you did? Nowhere.

Bare minimum what you're looking at, is new PSU. 1.2 kW unit isn't cheap but when considering that you need 1.2 kW PSU, then you have very expensive hardware in use, which costs a lot of money and you also have said money to buy all that.

At worst, you're looking to replace both of your builds, the main one and the AMD one, since out of your lack of common sense, you wrongly used the adapter, which fried the PSU. And if PSU is fried, it has magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. Meaning, both of your PCs.

That's what i call a life's tax. (Others call it stupid tax.)

The PSU might be okay. With the adapter installed the fans turning on for a bit then turning off sounds like the PSU tripping a protection. And the fact it still is able to power up the system is promising.

I would check other components of the PC that may have been damaged.

This is EXACTLY why we don't recommend using molex to PCI adapters. Or any adapters for that matter. If a PSU manufacturer intended for a unit to be used for a thing, it will have the proper connectors to power that thing.

Besides which, you had no reason to need to "adapt" to molex, when that unit already had FIVE molex connectors included. Then you proceeded to plug the end of the adapter that was meant to be plugged into a graphics card, into the power supply, which I'd just about guarantee toasted your PSU. I sure as heck wouldn't trust it with any hardware after that, especially if it toasted two different systems. As previously mentioned, this should be an expensive learning experience and hopefully the next time you will ask your questions BEFORE you just start plugging things in where they don't belong so that we can help you to avoid problems like this in the future.

i got a EVGA 1200W power supply, to witch I tried to connect a fan controller box, that uses Molex.

i bought a Molex (2) to 6pin adapter and pluged it into the PERIF1 slot of the PSU.
D_NQ_NP_742501-MLC45096772974_032021-O.webp

At this time i did not notice that the Molex from the fan controller has 4 cables, and the adapter has only 4 cables going into the Molex plug.

Turning on the PC, the light got on and the CPU fan spun for 1 sec and stopped, but the controllerbox for the rest of the fans would not light up.
i took the molex adapter out again from the sysytem and tried to boot it up but now i dont get any video or post from the pc.

The lights on the motherboard turn on and the CPU fan keeps spinning, but i dont get any beeps or error messages.

Could it be that the PSU got fried and, even tho its lightihng up the motherboard, it has no power to run the CPU, or is it more probable that the CPU died?

i dont have any spare Motherboards or CPU to test them in other systems.

i have another system with AMD in witch i tested the PSU and now that computer wont boot either... did i burn my 2 CPUs?

THX!

Wow. You really screwed up.

Just because it can plug into the PSU, doesn't mean you should. :(

Reactions: Aeacus