AlanRT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
One year old PC that started crashing half a year into it's life.

Specs are:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Wraith Boxed (regular cpu fan)
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G
G.Skill Aegis 16 GB 3000hz
Cooler Master V Series V550 plus gold
Sharkoon VS4-W with two fans (temps remain low)
2 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

The PSU has recently started making cracking noises. Before it used to crash during game but now the PC crashes before it reaches the main menu and the GPU starts sucking 180W of power.

I have tried:
FurMark for 2hours
Prime95 for 2hours
Both FurMark and Prime95 together for 30mins.
Verdict=No crash

I Tried a different PSU of 750W instead and the crashing stopped, but the noises remained and moved a bit to the GPU as well. That PSU comes from a PC that worked without any problems, so the 750W PSU is fine. So why the noise is in it as well, no freaking clue.

Now I don't know what to do anymore, want to throw it all out the window. The cracking became more intense and I switched back to the CoolerMaster PSU. The noise stopped..but because the pc crashed before reaching a game's main menu. The moment the GPU needs more than 170W it crashes. BUT, using FurMark which is below and around 170W it's fine. WTF is going on? I wish I was making this up to mess with you. Is there something else I can test?

I am plugged directly to the wall. Is there a way to test how much power is being used by the PC including keyboard?

I have a Razer:
Huntsman elite
firefly v1 mousepad
mamba elite mouse
chroma base for headset

I did a test on CoolerMaster site for PSU consumption and it was 450W, so 550W should be fine? Thank you

AlanRT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
What was the brand/model of the tested 750w PSU?

It's a Corsair, CX750.
Trying to link a video I made on a facebook group. But with the cooler master psu, the moment the GPU is trying to start up its fans and do its job, it crashes. With the Corsair, it makes those sounds. screeching, terrible ear pain cracking. But the corsair comes from a previously tested and working PC. Could the GPU be trying to draw way more power because of faulty and causing that noise on the PSU? and is 550W from my old PSU enough to power this PC? Thank you