[SOLVED] PSU electric sound

Apr 24, 2021
I have a Corsair HX 850 of about 2 years old. Depending on the load there is a high pitched electric sound coming from it. Unless I'm playing games the noise is less and more irregular. During games it's louder and constant. I did send it back, but I was told it was simply coil whine. Now I accepted this, but recently I noticed that during gaming I could hear the same electric noise downstairs near my (relatively old) TV. This makes me doubt it's coil whine and I wonder if the sound could possibly be caused by something else. My PSU is connected to a power strip together with my monitor, but that seems to have no influence. My previous psu, which I used up until a few weeks ago for 5+ years, did not have this problem.
Although it doesn't bother me too much (I game with a headset which cancels most of it out unless I focus on the sound) it does confuse me since I was told it was coil whine. I tried to google a bit, but I couldn't really find anything. Thanks.

Can you expand further on this? How can coil whine go through electricity to other devices?
Coil "WHINE" is the sound that comes from vibrating induction coils in a switching power supply. It does not transfer over anywhere. You have switching power supply in your TV, and in your PC..., and even your cell-phone charger is a switching power supply. This noise and also EM noise are the most common design flaws in those.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 24, 2021
Coil "WHINE" is the sound that comes from vibrating induction coils in a switching power supply. It does not transfer over anywhere. You have switching power supply in your TV, and in your PC..., and even your cell-phone charger is a switching power supply. This noise and also EM noise are the most common design flaws in those.
Okay, but then I'm quite confused to how I only hear the coil whine downstairs when I start up a game. (pc is upstairs) And the moment I shut down my game the sound at my tv disappears.

Apr 24, 2021
Oh, so your TV susceptible to the EM noise that comes with the PSU..
Well, I'm not sure. The sound comes from near my tv. It might not be the tv itself. But anyway, if it's indeed my tv like you say, do you think I should even worry about that? And can you explain in a bit more detail what's happening?

should even worry about that?
It is a side-effect of your PSU. Your TV is sensitive enough to intercept it (or it might even be your electrical wiring that produces the noise. I would not worry about it unless it does bother me.

can you explain in a bit more detail what's happening?
Did you follow the link in post #4 above? That should do it...

Solution