Question PSU failure and graphic glitches.

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
Recently, I'm facing power shutdowns while gaming (specifically, CoD: Modern Warfare/Warzone 2019) and after such, the PC refuses to start for some time by any means, But when it decides to start it runs perfectly normal during normal usage (browsing, Downloading, updating etc.). I deduce that my PSU is saying goodbye, but the problem doesn't stops there: when I was running a test playing Call of Duty, at some point, my screen glitched out by goin all grey and played for a second that horrible audio glitch, like it was BSOD-ing...I tried to unplug-plug the HDMI and the screen turned bright green...i tried to leave it like so for a couple of minutes, to see if was automatically rebooting, but it did nothing so i rebooted it by pressing the reset button(Note: I'm having this shutdown problems for a while now but this is the first time the screen glitches like this). After that i re-rebooted again to see if everything was OK then i tried to play again to test it more, and after a couple of matches (Note: detail was set at high, but the in-game VRAM counter was not even close to the max limit and far far away from the total max) it turned off suddendly and refused to power on for the whole night ( I think i tried for 20 mins before giving up) and in the morning it powered up normally from the start button and is still running as i'm writing this with no problems at all. I'm going to replace the PSU but my true question is: Could the faulty PSU and the powering up problems ruined/damaged my GPU or other components? Because while running normally, screen is clean, never stutters, boots kinda fast (1-2 minutes and is ready to go), i can watch movies, videos and all programs runs ok (speaking about Office, Paint, game launchers, TeamSpeak etc.) and while I enter any game for the time it runs is clean until shuts off. I've done a RAM check, Check Disk, Clean Boot, All kind of Virus/malware scans and no problems were detected...
here my PC specs:
-OP system: Windows 10 pro 64-bit version 1909;
-RAM: G.SKILL Dimm Ripjaws V DDR4 16Gb 3200MHz CL 16;
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Quad Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4;
-GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon RX570 8gb VRAM GDDR5 Pci-E DVI-D;
-Motherboard: ASUS Tuf B450-Plus Gaming Socket AM4 Chipset B450 ATX;
-PSU: COOLERMASTER Modular PSU 750Watt MWE 80+ Gold (Fan 120mm).
I'm also using an APC UPS, i thought that this could be the problem source, but I tested by plugging in the PC to the main plug but the problem still happens...

"Could the faulty PSU and the powering up problems ruined/damaged my GPU or other components? "
It could....but most of the time in my experience it doesn't.
The green screen could have been the result of the card seeing incorrect voltage.
I would replace the PSU first and then see what happens.

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
Thanks for the answer...And th fact that the green screen is not caused by a direct damage to the GPU is reassuring...Now, I calculated that i need at least 306 Watts on my rig (used coolermaster wattage calculator) and my new question is: Do i need a 80plus gaming PSU to go back and play actively Modern Warfare/Warzone or can i choose even a White/bronze/silver one? I list a couple of models i've found on Amazon...Could one of these two be good for extended everyday play of such a demanding game? I know i sound like a nerd, but in this pandemic period what you can do? I don't know how much i play every day, it varies, but i need to be 100% sure that the PSU i'm going to buy can resist and give me all the power i need for extensive play...
Cooler Master MWE 750 White-v2 750W 80 Plus
Cooler Master MWE 700 White-v2 700W 80 Plus