Vatafaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Story like that, my previous Psu went on retirement, so I replaced it with one of those oldy ones I have at home.

Psu works fine, but I can't say the fan of it does.
It's sometimes doesn't start to spin.
Not much of a trouble as I can start it manually(with my holy hand).
But now it went really unsuccessfully, I can't get it to spin.
Maybe I should oil that fan?
And I have cleaned it from dust.

Psu same is fine, so I wont add specify it model.

P.S
While writing this fan started to move on its self like 4-6 circles and stopped again.
P.S.S
Got it to life. But still what may be cause of this so I can handle this in future.

Many PSU's have temperature sensors in them that won't turn the fan on until it reaches a certain temperature or load. This helps with the power consumption.

More than likely you are not putting enough of a strain on the PSU that it needs the fan, and when it turns on for a few seconds, that is all it needs to cool itself to the point where it can shut off.

Vatafaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Thanks for reply.
However I have seen that when playing games psu gets hot, but fan still ignores it(It's been just one time like that(But still a cause for worry)).
And do such heat sensors are on older psu's? This gem is bought in 2006 year.

you need a replacement fan at the very least but the fact that the fan died means the psu is probably pretty old so you should consider replacing that as well...
get a minimum of 500w and your golden for any future upgrades you care to choose...