Question PSU for a 3070 Ti ?

Jul 15, 2022
Multi Rail is better for anything, even for power failiure from what I have heard. It is better, but not that important as it is getting an 80+ Silver or better certification PSU that has at least 700W

Reactions: KyaraM

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You need a psu or already have one?

And if you have one what is it? =maker+model+wattage.

Multi Rail is better for anything, even for power failiure from what I have heard. It is better, but not that important as it is getting an 80+ Silver or better certification PSU that has at least 700W
Doesn't really matter if single or multirail and no a higher efficiency rating only says something about energy efficiency and little to nothing about quality.

I use a 750W BeQuiet! Straight Power 11 80+ Gold PSU for my 3070Ti. Works like a charm. BeQuiet! even gives a figure for peak power, which can go up to 820W. This is a metric that is often not given, but quite important for transient power spikes. Iirc it is single/multi rail switchable, too.
https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1254

Totally agree with you. Users aren't factoring transients into their PSU purchases. It's a dodgy one with transients on RTX3xxx being at least 2.5 x the TGP. It's not enough to have just the wattage. Its more important to have quality.

That's really cool that BeQuiet have included that information on their PSU's. That's a first as far as I can see. Nice!

KyaraM

Admirable
Totally agree with you. Users aren't factoring transients into their PSU purchases. It's a dodgy one with transients on RTX3xxx being at least 2.5 x the TGP. It's not enough to have just the wattage. Its more important to have quality.

That's really cool that BeQuiet have included that information on their PSU's. That's a first as far as I can see. Nice!
They even give you an overview about cable compatibility, so upgrading to a stronger PSU from a different series is super easy and you always know what you can and cannot combine! Really good documentation right the, one the readons I like the brand.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a 3070ti, single rail is better. Each rail has OCP (over current protection) and what happens is all the 12v rails in a mukti-rail psu share the load simultaneously. Consequently the individual rails have lower protection setpoints. A 800w unit with 4x rails might have 4x rails set for 210w each. You've already got a 50w draw on each rail, so only 160w to spare. You get a good transient load spike it can be too much for an individual rail to handle, which trips the OCP. Seasonic Focus psus had that exact issue with the 30 series, the OCP was set too tight.

A single rail 800w unit would have just 1 rail at 820w, so that same transient hit still has a ton of headroom.

Normally multi-rail is touted as more stable, more efficient, cooler running etc, but the inclusion of the single rail switch means it'll also take a hard hit, which are instantaneous. If you have that switch, and a 30 series gpu, I'd set it for single rail operation.

Jul 15, 2022
You need a psu or already have one?

And if you have one what is it? =maker+model+wattage.

Doesn't really matter if single or multirail and no a higher efficiency rating only says something about energy efficiency and little to nothing about quality.
It does not matter a lot for quality to have high efficiency, but it is good to have it, otherwise it will use more power than it needs to. Unbranded PSUs here generally have no 80+ rating so having it certified is a big deal. If ordered from amazon though, which the OP may be using to buy it, there are a lot of no name 80+ PSUs that should be avoided, and best are, in no practicular order, these: Corsair, ThermalTake, Seasonic, MSI, NZXT, CoolerMaster, and even some unbranded ones, but it needs to be determined on a model basis, not all are the same quality.

Jul 15, 2022
For a 3070ti, single rail is better. Each rail has OCP (over current protection) and what happens is all the 12v rails in a mukti-rail psu share the load simultaneously. Consequently the individual rails have lower protection setpoints. A 800w unit with 4x rails might have 4x rails set for 210w each. You've already got a 50w draw on each rail, so only 160w to spare. You get a good transient load spike it can be too much for an individual rail to handle, which trips the OCP. Seasonic Focus psus had that exact issue with the 30 series, the OCP was set too tight.

A single rail 800w unit would have just 1 rail at 820w, so that same transient hit still has a ton of headroom.

Normally multi-rail is touted as more stable, more efficient, cooler running etc, but the inclusion of the single rail switch means it'll also take a hard hit, which are instantaneous. If you have that switch, and a 30 series gpu, I'd set it for single rail operation.
From what i have seen, there are lots of single rail and multi rail units, some branded, some not, all which, when rail wattage is combined, is below advertised wattage and 5V and was it 3V rail fill it up.