Question PSU input problem

kazurengan2

Honorable
Sep 18, 2017
i was having problems with my old PSU cable that my pc instantly shutted down if i accidentally
touch my PSU cable or moved the PC a little bit
i have bought a new PSU cable thinking it could solve the problem, but i did a test and
i heard a sparkling noise coming from the cable or PSU (im not sure) and the PC
shutted down again.
why is this happening? do i need a specific cable for there?
as long as i don't accidentally touch the cable the PC works fine

kazurengan2

Honorable
Sep 18, 2017
What PSU cable was this? There are a lot of cables in a PSU. It's a bit like saying I'm having trouble with "the part" of my car.

Is the PSU still turning on after the shut down, using the old PSU cable?

it's just a generic one, i bought one that had the same voltage as my old one
yea the PSU turns on with any of the cables, but if i touch the cable a little bit accidentally
the pc instantly shuts down

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That doesn't answer the question. There's no such thing as "generic PSU cable." Cables do different things.

My PSU has a cable that goes from the PSU to the electrical outlet. It has a cable that goes from the PSU to the motherboard's 24-pin connector. It has a cable that goes to the two 8-pin CPU connectors. It has cables that go from the PSU to the SATA hard drives. It has cables that go from the PSU to the PCIE sockets of my GPU. I don't use any, but a lot of people use cables that go from the PSU to molex connectors on things like fans.

None of these is "the" PSU cable. We need to know what PSU cable we're talking about first.

And we need to know all the details.

So far, all you've told us is that some mystery cable on some mystery PSU connected to some mystery PC was replaced by some other mystery cable and there was a spark. I can't imagine anyone giving any helpful advice with no information whatsoever.

Reactions: DRagor

tech_fanatic

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015
i was having problems with my old PSU cable that my pc instantly shutted down if i accidentally
touch my PSU cable or moved the PC a little bit
i have bought a new PSU cable thinking it could solve the problem, but i did a test and
i heard a sparkling noise coming from the cable or PSU (im not sure) and the PC
shutted down again.
why is this happening? do i need a specific cable for there?
as long as i don't accidentally touch the cable the PC works fine
Please be specific about the cable that you talking about. Is the cable from the power outlet to the psu input or one of the cables that provides the output power of the psu to computer parts i.e. the cables connected between the psu and the motherboard, sata devices and the graphics card and the chassis fans.