[SOLVED] PSU making static (?) ticking sound

Solution
This sounds like classic sparks sound that usually comes from the power cable attaching to the power supply. Try to push in the power cable and see if that helps the issue. Look with the help of a flashlight into the holes of the power supply power cable and the connector at the back of the PSU and see if you see the connectors having any sot on them or if they are clean. If they have sot that is a clear indication of sparks being generated usually cause either by a faulty socket or incorrectly seated cable. If the cable is bad then you need to get a new cable.

Video showing the phenomenon:

View: https://youtu.be/t5-QnNETzwQ?t=50

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums,newcomer!

How old is the unit and what is it powering in your chassis? Better list your entire system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Are you sure the sound is coming from the PSU('s housing) and not a fan on your chassis that's set to exhaust...?

Reactions: Plsgod99

Plsgod99

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
Specs (I can’t check all of these right now but off the top of my head):

CPU- intel i5-9400f
GPU- nvidia gtx 1660ti
Ram- (unsure) 16gb... 2x8gb sticks
SSD- (unsure) 500gb nvme
OS- windows 10
Motherboard- asrock b360 (I think)
Psu- coolermaster masterwatt lite 690W

Plsgod99

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
Specs (I can’t check all of these right now but off the top of my head):

CPU- intel i5-9400f
GPU- nvidia gtx 1660ti
Ram- (unsure) 16gb... 2x8gb sticks
SSD- (unsure) 500gb nvme
OS- windows 10
Motherboard- asrock b360 (I think)
Psu- coolermaster masterwatt lite 690W

600W* not 690

Plsgod99

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
Welcome to the forums,newcomer!

How old is the unit and what is it powering in your chassis? Better list your entire system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Are you sure the sound is coming from the PSU('s housing) and not a fan on your chassis that's set to exhaust...?

im kinda new to the whole PC thing but the sound seems to be coming from right around where the cord plugs into the PSU. The system is 1 yr old

also I posted the specs (to my best knowledge)

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
This sounds like classic sparks sound that usually comes from the power cable attaching to the power supply. Try to push in the power cable and see if that helps the issue. Look with the help of a flashlight into the holes of the power supply power cable and the connector at the back of the PSU and see if you see the connectors having any sot on them or if they are clean. If they have sot that is a clear indication of sparks being generated usually cause either by a faulty socket or incorrectly seated cable. If the cable is bad then you need to get a new cable.

Last edited:
Solution

Plsgod99

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020

hmm it’s hard to say... the sound is definitely coming from right where the cord goes but only when it’s on. The cord itself doesn’t seem damaged from what I can see but even when I push it in as much as I can it still does it

might have to try a new cord out though to see if that helps