[SOLVED] PSU Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Hi guys,

So I've managed to go without issues on my current build for quite some time, just over three years I believe.

Unfortunately, the PC has recently decided that the local climate is no longer to it's liking, so it started overheating.

I'm farily sure it's the PSU. When I check the interior of my PC the PSU and GPU were the only parts which seemes hotter than usual. I check the temps on my GPU with some software and it wasn't going above 70c which is well within my GPUs range, but the temperates on the PSU are being shown as above 100c (at least in Open Hardware Monitor which I'm using).

Also whenever the overheat forces my PC to shut down (usually while gaming), it takes a little while before I can turn it on again, so I'm assuming it's the PSU, plus it gets the hottest.

I haven't changed any of the components in the PC since the last build which was over three years ago, the PC has remained in the same location. The only thing I did was a thorough dusting about three days back, but I did that after I sensed the PC getting warmer than usual, although it didn't seem to help.

My Specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM: 16 GB Corsair (Vengeance I believe)
PSU: Corsair CX 750 (fan placement is down facing)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z270-K

Would appreciate any help that might allow me to get the PC into standard working conditions before I can just buy a new PSU.

Thanks

Solution
The CPU fan isn't spinning when I turn the power on on the PSU and since the PC doesn't respond to the power button it doesn't start spinning then either.

The Motherboard does light ub with the amber lighting which is on this model, so it is getting power when I switch the PSU on. I can also see a light turn on on the GPU, next to the 8pin or whatever it is, signalling its getting power.

Couldn't find any residue on the MB as far as I could tell and tried swapping the connections for the panel power and reset button but didn't work either.

I'm wondering whether I should take the CPU fan off and take a look under it, but I currently don't have any spare thermal paste at home so don't want to be taking the fan off before I can...

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Is the fan in the PSU even working any more? Did you bother checking that? That fan should be spinning all of the time.
The fan is definitely spinning. Did a clean up of the dust accumulated on the grill both by the fan and outtake (whatever the other end would be called).

So it shouldn't be the case that the fan isn't operational at all.

If the PSU is sucking in outside air (fan down) and it's definitely working (spinning full time), then I don't think it's PSU OTP.

That 100° number is completely B.S. by the way. There is no temperature sensor on that PSU (that can be read by software at least).

When you say that you have to let it "cool down for a while before you can turn it on again", do you mean you turn it off, back on and then press the button on the case and nothing happens?

Because PSU OTP will not allow you to even TRY to turn on the PC until the PSU is completely cooled down. If it's not the PSU, the PSU will try to turn on, but the motherboard may try to "block that" because something else is too hot (Northbridge chip, for example).

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
If the PSU is sucking in outside air (fan down) and it's definitely working (spinning full time), then I don't think it's PSU OTP.

That 100° number is completely B.S. by the way. There is no temperature sensor on that PSU (that can be read by software at least).

When you say that you have to let it "cool down for a while before you can turn it on again", do you mean you turn it off, back on and then press the button on the case and nothing happens?

Because PSU OTP will not allow you to even TRY to turn on the PC until the PSU is completely cooled down. If it's not the PSU, the PSU will try to turn on, but the motherboard may try to "block that" because something else is too hot (Northbridge chip, for example).
drivinfast mentioned the PSU shouldn't be monitorable. I ujust used open hardware monuitor thinking it might show actual numbers, but I guess not.

What I mean by having to wait to turn it on is when the PC shuts down the start button on the case is completely unresponsive. Trying to turn the PC on does nothing. So I have to wait for a certain amount of time, not sure how long exactly, each time I left it differently, before the start button actually turns the PC on again.

I just used some o

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
I'll send one once I turn the PC on again.

Though, I'm not sure if it will help as the previous commenters said that those numbers should be irrelevant... So no idea where the numbers come from.
Who knows.

Indeed some PSUs have temp sensors.
You may be right as most of the PSUs max temps are around 100c..

And it could be wrong, or even pointing to something else too.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
This is the snip of the OHM.

It shows me six different temps for my PSU and these temperatures right now are basically at idle, with only some background apps running and chrome open with facebook and twitch.

106972461_3112941882078257_3352223837980509849_n.jpg

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
This is the snip of the OHM.

It shows me six different temps for my PSU and these temperatures right now are basically at idle, with only some background apps running and chrome open with facebook and twitch.

106972461_3112941882078257_3352223837980509849_n.jpg
Thanks for sharing the picture.

Those temps are not for the PSU; that nuvoton named box is just an I/O for the motherboard to monitor the parameters.(it's just the name of your motherboard's sensor).

Some component of your motherboard are reaching those temps, not the PSU.

Now you should find where those sensors are pointing at.

To do so you can head to your bios or install another third party like HWINFO64.

Good luck.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Thanks for sharing the picture.

Those temps are not for the PSU; that nuvoton named box is just an I/O for the motherboard to monitor the parameters.(it's just the name of your motherboard's sensor).

Some component of your motherboard are reaching those temps, not the PSU.

Now you should find where those sensors are pointing at.

To do so you can head to your bios or install another third party like HWINFO64.

Good luck.
I'll download that software now and see where it takes me.

Not the biggest fan of going into BIOS.

Thanks!

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Just to be sure have you overclocked or something?
Not to my knowledge.

The CPU should be running on the same settings since the start and I never touched anything on it.

Also, could you give me any pointers on what I'm looking for in the HWINFO software?

I opened it up and checked under the SMBIOS DMI section, where I found several 'Temperature Probe' and 'Cooling Device' items. Checked those but all cooling devices say status: OK and all temperature probes also show status: OK but all other values (Maximum value, minimum value, resolution, tolerance and accuracy) as unknown.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
My PSU doesn't seem to show up under those readings.

And I couldn't find any temperatures under the hardware listed which would fit the numbers from the Open Hardware Monitor.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Here are the temperatures for CPU, GPU and Motherboard. The only other temperature readings I could find were for my drives.

106920909_3113043888734723_6743901123116160414_n.jpg

107108716_3113044228734689_7509330047350486088_n.jpg

107370747_3113044848734627_3458273335657612935_n.jpg

107159568_3113045158734596_3695640504938961217_n.jpg

Hope something in here has an indication or clarifies something.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Yup. Everything is pretty normal now!

Now the idea is to load your system by playing some games or doing some stressers then check the temps to see what's doing the overheating.
(As you mentioned if your PC always shut down while it's under load, stress it for a little amount of time then check the temps)

Status
Not open for further replies.