Question PSU Problem urgent, won't turn on. Fans move tiny bit

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Hello,
I have a big problem...
Its hot atm here and I wanted to plug a third fan into my pc. But i didnt have any space on mobo. I checked my spare cables and found some sort of 6 pin to molex connector and then a molex to fan adapter. I though great.

While my pc was on, yes i know i shouldnt have , i plugged the 6 pin cable into a free 6 pin port on my psu thinking it would work.

My pc insta shut off, i tried to turn it back and no luck. After a while i tried again and the fans moved a tiny bit, just a little nudge and thats it. No power what so ever

I had a spare psu an older one (my current one is like 1-2 years old.

I replugged everything and the same thing happened. Just the fans nudging a tiny bit.
I also tried removing bios battery while retesting old psu and nothing.

I would really love some help please.
Thanks in advance

Specs:
Amd athlon x4 760k
Msi a78m-e35
Crucial ballistix 8gb 1866
Samsung evo 120gb
Samsung 860 evo 250gb
Sapphire radeon r7 260x
Corsair CX550M (new psu)
Corsair 600(old psu)

What maybe happened was the fan didn't have any power draw limits (they are usually controlled by a motherboard that they should be plugged into). This meant it just drew all the power it could, destroying the PSU then destroying the motherboard or a component of it.
Did you take the fan and adapter out when the system shut down? Also, do you happen to also have a spare GPU that you can test?

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
What maybe happened was the fan didn't have any power draw limits (they are usually controlled by a motherboard that they should be plugged into). This meant it just drew all the power it could, destroying the PSU then destroying the motherboard or a component of it.
Did you take the fan and adapter out when the system shut down? Also, do you happen to also have a spare GPU that you can test?
I only plugged the 6pin to molex half way in (the molex to fan + the actual fan) wasnt even plugged in.

I plugged the adapter in maybe 30% in and instantly pulled it out when i heard the pc shut off.

I dont have another gpu unfortunately.

That is very weird. It could be that you accidentally touched something and blew or shorted what you touched. I'm not sure how much help I will be other than, if you have a spare system to test the original PSU (the one you plugged the adapter into) then do so to see if the PSU still works. You can also do the same with the GPU.